1967 Model 2000 3PT Hitch Chain Stabilizer

/ 1967 Model 2000 3PT Hitch Chain Stabilizer #1  

gb6049

Tractor
1967 Ford 2000
I am looking to install a set of chain stabilizer on my 1967 model 2000 3cyl diesel. Has anyone else done this and if so how did you connect to the lower arm?

My current plan is to remove the bolt connecting the upper and lower arms and replace it with an eyebolt. Using the eyebolt, I would attach the clevis end of the stabilizer to eyebolt and attach the other end with the bolt to the bracket under the rear axle. Will this work or would I be better off drilling another hole in the lower arm to attach the eyebolt?

/ 1967 Model 2000 3PT Hitch Chain Stabilizer #2  
My '65 2000 has oem chains on it. There is a bracket already on the lift arm, for a clevis to hook to. The other end attached with a small clevis, to the "U" shaped bracket, around the pto shaft. Here is a link from the NH online parts store. Official New Holland Online Parts Store and Online Parts Catalog for New Holland and Ford Tractors. Looks for parts #17E, #26 & #27. The chain anchors # 28 & #29 are different, than the bracket on mine.

Not sure what yours has. I guess I never paid that close to others I've seen, but from memory,what I've seen here, is similar to what I have.

/ 1967 Model 2000 3PT Hitch Chain Stabilizer
You are referring to the check chains. I have those. I am planning to install stabilizer chains in lieu of the stabilizer bars which are used to control sway of implements such as a grader blade or mower.

/ 1967 Model 2000 3PT Hitch Chain Stabilizer #4  
OK, gotcha'... Most stabilizer bars, along with the set I have, slip over the end on the draft pins, once you have your implement hooked up, then put the lynch pin in. Newer implements with replaceable draft pins are a tad longer, to allow for this. Something I have here, that is older with shorter draft pins, won't work. Can't remember what it is. They were replaceable, so just got longer pins, and problem was solved.

I guess you could cut some tabs out of flat strap, and bore a hole long enough to slip over the draft pin, with a little slop. Then on the other end, make a bend in it, enough to allow room for a small clevis, on the chain. Make the chain a little long, in case different implements have different width's. You can always drop a link, and pin through the one(s) to limit swing, to your liking.

I'm thinking hooking the chain towards the center of the lift arms, could cause the arms to get bent, if say a heavy rotary cutter is on there, and say you dropped in a ditch, groundhog hole, etc., even turning and hitting something with the tail end of something like that, and getting a lot of side thrust. With that much momentum, and thrust, something has to give. Better a bent draft pin, then bent lift arms. Just my opinion...

/ 1967 Model 2000 3PT Hitch Chain Stabilizer #5  
I built a stabilizer bar for one side and a chain for the other - just like DJ said: drilled some holes in 1/4" thick plate to slide over the implement pins, welded them to a chain and that gives me just enough wiggle room it's easy to put the stabilizers on any of the implements (slipscoop, box blade, or even my forks I built).

/ 1967 Model 2000 3PT Hitch Chain Stabilizer #6  
I am looking to install a set of chain stabilizer on my 1967 model 2000 3cyl diesel. Has anyone else done this and if so how did you connect to the lower arm?

My current plan is to remove the bolt connecting the upper and lower arms and replace it with an eyebolt. Using the eyebolt, I would attach the clevis end of the stabilizer to eyebolt and attach the other end with the bolt to the bracket under the rear axle. Will this work or would I be better off drilling another hole in the lower arm to attach the eyebolt?

if you replace that bolt with an eyebolt.. make sure it is not just a grade 2, otherwise it will turn into a cheese stick as soon as you lift something heavy!

/ 1967 Model 2000 3PT Hitch Chain Stabilizer
Decided it wasn't worth the effort and went with what Ford originally designed for it. So far the results are good enough when using the 6' Caroni finish mower.