Will a Ford 4000 pull a box blade?

/ Will a Ford 4000 pull a box blade? #11  
Definitely need weight in the back whether wheel weights or loaded tires. I had a 1962 ford 2000 with no weight in the back end and traction was definitely an issue from time to time. It would go through a fair amount with A round bale on the back but once that was placed - good luck getting back with no weight. You will find it will just be an all around better machine with some weight. A good used back blade at auction shouldnt cost much more than $400.00

/ Will a Ford 4000 pull a box blade? #12  
For sure load the tires, and if needed, put weight on the box blade. a 5' shouldn't even be felt. should pull a 6'.

/ Will a Ford 4000 pull a box blade? #13  
I have a 63 Ford 4000 with a superior front end loader mounted. I am slowly converting some woods by the house into pasture for the horses. Once I get all of the stumps/rocks removed I am going to need to grade the area. To level it out I need to move about 2' of material from the high side of a 100' square area to the low side. A box blade sounds ideal for what I want to do but I am concerned that my tractor may not pull it. Everything I read talks about people needing to put their tractors in 4wd mode to get it to pull the blade. I have AG tires with chains but have had them spin just going up hills it a light load of firewood in the bucket. I would hate to go spend all the money on a box blade just to find that I can't pull it. Anyone else successfully use a box blade on a vintage ford tractor?

Keith

That is the last two years of the 800 series and Dad wore out one 6' box blade with his 1962 801 Ford.

/ Will a Ford 4000 pull a box blade?
Got the box blade hooked up this past weekend. It sort of works. On flat ground it works great but on any sort of a hill the back wheels just sit there and spin once the box starts filling up with a little bit of dirt. I haven't tried putting the chains on yet to see if that makes a difference.

Keith

/ Will a Ford 4000 pull a box blade? #15  
Well, if you are trying to pull a box of dirt up a hill, then yes.. it gets tough. Do you have loaded rears or wheel weights?

/ Will a Ford 4000 pull a box blade?
Well, if you are trying to pull a box of dirt up a hill, then yes.. it gets tough. Do you have loaded rears or wheel weights?

I'm not trying to pull the dirt up hill, more across or down it. The problem is that after I make a pass or two and the dirt starts to loosen up there just isn't any grip left on the rear tires as I try to make more passes. My lot used to be a farm field back in the 20's but was let go and had trees take it back over. The plus side is that the dirt is good topsoil down 18-24" deep and is very easy to get things to grow in it. The down side is that type of soil tends to be loose and not great for traction with the tractor. I do have loaded tires but no wheel weights. I thought about taking the bucket off the loader but right now when I do get stuck that bucket is the only way I have to push myself backwards and out. Still haven't tried the chains as it has rained here the past week but how to try them out this weekend.

Keith

/ Will a Ford 4000 pull a box blade? #17  
I doubt chains get you much.

Are you trying to drag too much, maybee use a less aggressive angle.

And yes.. a heavy front will de-weight the back.