ford 660 tranny/pto help needed

/ ford 660 tranny/pto help needed #1  

somanytractors

Silver Member
Tractor
several
My 660 has the 5 speed that you pull up for 1st and rev. push down for 2 and 3, down farther for 4 and 5.
In another post I was told is has a live pto via 2 stage clutch.

I have 2 problems {maybe related}

1st. I have to shut the tractor off to put the pto in gear. Clutch for tranny works fine but for pto it doesn't disengage.
2nd, the shaft that the clutch pedal is on wriggles a lot like its going to fall out of the tranny. I'm going to have to deal with this shaft problem.

So my questions.
I took the bolts out of the top of the tranny to remove the cover to get inside to see whats up with the shaft. The top still doesn't come off.
I noticed a nut on top of the shifter. Do I need to remove this nut and shifter to leave the linkage inside the tranny, or do I just need to wriggle the linkage out with it attached to the cover?

And, does this shaft have anything to do with the clutch or do both work from the same linkage that the clutch for the tranny uses?

Thanks for any help :)
John

/ ford 660 tranny/pto help needed #2  
My 660 has the 5 speed that you pull up for 1st and rev. push down for 2 and 3, down farther for 4 and 5.

I have 2 problems {maybe related}

1st. I have to shut the tractor off to put the pto in gear. Clutch for tranny works fine but for pto it doesn't disengage.
2nd, the shaft that the clutch pedal is on wriggles a lot like its going to fall out of the tranny. I'm going to have to deal with this shaft problem.

So my questions.
I took the bolts out of the top of the tranny to remove the cover to get inside to see whats up with the shaft. The top still doesn't come off.
I noticed a nut on top of the shifter. Do I need to remove this nut and shifter to leave the linkage inside the tranny, or do I just need to wriggle the linkage out with it attached to the cover?

And, does this shaft have anything to do with the clutch or do both work from the same linkage that the clutch for the tranny uses?

Thanks for any help :)
John
I read this four times and still don't understand exactly what you are saying so I'll try and explain a little about clutch. The clutch isn't in the same case as gears and gear shift lever. You can see inside case,aka bellhousing where clutch reside's by removing rectangular plate underneath,between engine and transmission. Regardless wherther tractor is equipped with live pto or not,the pto can be engaged or dis-engaged after pressing clutch all the way down. It does sound like you have live pto and clutch is far out of adjustment. The adjustment require's several steps so I recommend you buy a shop manual. Tractor Supply Company sell's IT Shop Service #FO-20 which include's adjustment instructions. I think you will also find instructions for replacing a bushing to correct the sloppy shaft you complained about.

Last edited:
   / ford 660 tranny/pto help needed
Thanks jaxz!
A manual sounds like a great idea.
I didn't know they sold them.

/ ford 660 tranny/pto help needed #4  
When you see instructions you'll know why I didn't even attempt explaining adjustment procedure. Disregard what I said about clutch shaft bushing,I just realized you are probably talking about the clutch pedal pivot shaft. I think that shaft is threaded and screw's into transmission case. If that shaft is indeed loose,I'd be very cautious when operating the tractor. If that were to fall out,the only way to stop tractor is turning key off,,,,,,which might be to late to avoid driving over or through something.:eek: Before getting into clutch adjustment,fix the shaft,that very well might alow clutch to function right. If the shaft is simply worn for lack of greasing over the years,call a salvage yard to see if the shaft can be screwed out and if they have a good shaft AND pedal because hole in pedal will be equally worn.

Thats what I was looking for. The pivot pin.
I don't think its worn, I think its probably broken off. It slides about an inch out. Fortunately there is something on the foot rest that it runs into so it doesn't fall out completely.
I'll pull that pin out and see if there is a piece broken off inside. If so I can get it out and find a replacement or make up something.

I ordered a manual already. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.

And good point, probably not a good idea to run near anything till its fixed.

John

/ ford 660 tranny/pto help needed #6  

You are incorrect.

3rd and reverse are on the top gate, 1/2 middle, 4/5 bottom.

/ ford 660 tranny/pto help needed #7  
You can pull the steering box to see into the bellhousing. As was mentioned, the clutch is not in the transmission, its in front of it. And yes, you would wave to take the nut off the shifter to get that entire ordeal apart.

If it is a 2 stage clutch, it may be worn past its mechanics ability to .be adjusted.

Get the pivot to the point that you can set free play to its minimum or just a hair under minimum, then re check.

/ ford 660 tranny/pto help needed #8  
9-17-14_Clutch1.JPG9-17-14_Clutch1.JPG
This was my 1958 861D old 2 stage clutch & the worn fingers that ride against throw-out bearing before I replaced them.
And this is looking into the case at the throw-out bearing and clutch shaft. Your 660 is probably similar.
9-17-14_Clutch3.JPG

Thanks for all the info everyone.
I had to move this one out of the way for a couple of weeks.
I'm pretty sure I got it all figured out now when I get back to it.
John

I finally got around to this.
The pivot pin actually goes through the housing and is supposed to have a nut on the end.
Now that the pin is tight everything works fine.
That's all it was

Thanks everyone for your help :)
John