Anyone use a Dearborn loader on their Ford 8N/9N

/ Anyone use a Dearborn loader on their Ford 8N/9N #1  

jgbanshee

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 310SE, JD 4300, JD 5210, JD 450 Crawler, CAT D3B, Ford 2N, Ford 5000 Ford 4000su, Ford 1100
I just bought a Dearborn 19-42 loader (jungle gym type) and was wondering if anyone has one or one like it on their Ford N-series. Mine looks to be strong and heavy. I never had a loader on my 2N yet and i am wondering how it will handle it.

/ Anyone use a Dearborn loader on their Ford 8N/9N #2  
It will affect your steering. N's with loaders are pretty much powered wheelbarrows. They can scoop uncompacted materials, and maneuer, snow, etc. They are not a digging machine.

As I said before.. steering will be tougher. I suggest you get/make a counterweight for the rear end. Most people just get a big plastic tub or barell, and cut a hole in either side and slide a drawbar thru it, seal the holes with duct tape, and then fill it with concrete, Add a method to hook up the toplink. 400-600 pounds helps alot. Also.. you may find that the skinny 4x19 tires either flatten out under a heavy load, or leave 3" deep ruts whereever you drive. 2 easy fixes, and quite a few more involved ones.
You could get a set of flat or knobby motorcycle tires for the front.. they mount up fine, and you can get them a tad wider/flatter than an oem 3-rib. Second option is to order a new rim.. like a 16" rim, and then you have a wide variety of ag and implement tires that will fit on it. Be carefull. Most implement rims have a small bolt pattern that is the same as the 8n front hub. The 9n/2n has a wide hub, however places like www.just8ns.com DO carry a 16" rim for the 9n/2n.

Other options are to swap out your front hubs with 8n hubs..

Here's a pic of the counterweight I made for my 660 with 1 arm loader.

Soundguy

i2442.jpg

/ Anyone use a Dearborn loader on their Ford 8N/9N #3  
I have a loader that came with my 49 8N. I took it off beacuse I have a loader on my IH 460. I have put it back on a few times to use, I've done snow removal, moving gravel, and other landscaping with it. I've got both sets of rims (16 & 19). Even though it is small - it's a handy thing to have around.

/ Anyone use a Dearborn loader on their Ford 8N/9N
Do the 19 in work ok on a paved driveway?

/ Anyone use a Dearborn loader on their Ford 8N/9N #5  
Don't know - mine isn't paved! They might work a little better on a paved surface - I usually run the 16" when the loader is on.

/ Anyone use a Dearborn loader on their Ford 8N/9N
I emailed just8ns and they said that they only carry 19in for the 2N/9N.

/ Anyone use a Dearborn loader on their Ford 8N/9N #7  
try valu-bilt in Indianola Iowa. They should have rims for 8N.
I THINK it's: www.valu-bilt.com

/ Anyone use a Dearborn loader on their Ford 8N/9N #8  
He's looking for 16" 9n/2n rims.

8n rims are easy to find.

Soundguy

/ Anyone use a Dearborn loader on their Ford 8N/9N #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I emailed just8ns and they said that they only carry 19in for the 2N/9N. )</font>

You know what I was thinking of.. welding the centers for yours into blank 16" rims. That's what alot of people do. that or swap hubs.. etc.

Soundguy