FORD Help..maybe

/ FORD Help..maybe #11  
I have always wondered why people have something of value, either $ or of value to someone else and they let it sit....and sit....and sit till it loses most of its value instead of selling it and getting some $$ for it . I see it all the time here in NY lots of farm equipment "planted " like that

/ FORD Help..maybe #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks guys,

I would have more/better pictures if I felt comfortable wondering around on his property....but I don't think I would like that at if the situation were reversed. So I'll keep trying to catch the guy and maybe get lucky.

Regards, Mark )</font>

Mark,

Have you considered going down to the court house and finding out who owns the property? You might even be able to look it up online. Maybe you could find a phone number too.

Judging by what little I can see in the photo's, condition of the property itself looks neglected. Might be an investment opportunity. You can tell your wife "Hey honey, I bought this tractor and a house came with it!" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ FORD Help..maybe
CBF,

No I never considered it. Actually I have seen roll offs of building supplies and lumber. Somebody is improving the house (not visible in pictures) but taking their time doing it.

Neighbors have seen them from time to time but believe they are making it ready for a retirement property. The area is deep and rather wide, maybe 3-4 acres. And there is always a late model Ford ranger parked there.

Not a bad idea though. I could get the physical address and go through the country web site appraisal district to get a name and phone number.

Thanks, Mark

/ FORD Help..maybe #14  
I am really baffled by those photos.

I agree with what has been said about the 2000- or 4000-series tractor from the early 60's. It does look to be an early-60's tractor or it could also be an 800-series tractor from the late 50's...to much vegetation to tell.

I also agree that the paint scheme seems to be uncharacteristic of that era. Industrial Ford tractors of that era would have been worn the blue belly paint with the pale industrial yellow on the hood, fenders, and wheels.

The 'FORD' decal on the loader looks to be an original Ford decal. I make some exceptions to that ascertion, however. According to the substantial quantities of old Ford industrial brochures that I have, the decal on the loader usually has 'Ford' in the classic script form. The block-type letters like those in the photo were usually used on the tractor hood and grill, not the loader. Thus, the decal in the photo is not typical placement for Ford industrial tractors of that era.

It is the loader design that really throws me for a loop. Ford typically used tapered, rectangular tubing for the loader frame since the late 50's...almost exclusively, in fact. In other words, old Ford loaders look very similar to present-day loaders. This design began with the model 68 & 703 loaders which were used on the later model, red-belly Fords. The loader in the photo uses pipe on the bottom of the frame with a vertical flat added above it for strength. I allege that the loader's design is not typical for Ford in that era, as well.

Bottom line: I make the prediction that this late 50's or early 60's Ford tractor has an aftermarket loader on it. It may be a Sherman or Wagner loader...who knows. I also predict that this tractor & loader had a high-quality paint job complete with Ford decals to look like the bue & white tractors of the late 60's or early 70's.

I've been wrong in the past and I'll be wrong again...but it was fun trying to be a tractor forensics officer.

The tractor doesn't look too bad from the photos, but you would need to get a closer look to be sure.

I just had a thought, this may be an Ford ag tractor, not an industrial model. That would tend to explain the owner's choice of color and the aftermarket loader. Ford's ag division didn't offer many loader choices and buyers were forced to seek out aftermarket brands.

/ FORD Help..maybe
OK...now that was an interesting observation.

I have searched photo archives and looked at the 2000-4000 series and 800 series photos and haven't really found an exact or very close match. And the loader does confuse the issue.

I am headed out that way again today and hope to catch someone....I will take my camera and see if I can get new/better pictures. Thanks for your post.

Regards, Mark

/ FORD Help..maybe #16  
SOMETHING I NOTICED , but hard to tell from the photos, but the tires seems to be in good shape, looks like a lot of rubber still on them. why would anyone park a perfectly good tractor and let it grow trees on it?

/ FORD Help..maybe #17  
Maybee they got another tractor.

Tractor rubber is tough stuff. I have a few vintage tractors with vintage rubber. My 8n has one oem tire.. and one new tire. OEM one is checked and cracked.. but has lots of tread left..

Soundguy

/ FORD Help..maybe #18  
Vetteman: I am one of those people that would rather leave something sit and rust away instead of selling it. The most recent was my '96 vette coupe. I put alot of money into it over the years in custom parts. It was the nicest vette in town, but I just got tired of it and never drove it much. I guess my priorities changed when I became 45 years young. I knew I would not get back all the money I put into it and I didn't want to see some one else enjoy the fruits of my labor or see some young punk wrap it around a light pole. After more than a year of not even looking at the car, my mechanic talked me into selling it to him. At least I know he will take good care of his new toy.

/ FORD Help..maybe #19  
<font color="blue">I have always wondered why people have something of value, either $ or of value to someone else and they let it sit....and sit....and sit till it loses most of its value instead of selling it and getting some $$ for it . </font>

So they can still say they are farmers -- or whatever they were -- or still talk about "their" tractor, or boat, or whatever. Bringing oneself to sell something that may be the last tangible link to a chosen but no longer viable lifestyle is impossible for some people. To do so, they would have to admit to themselves and their friends that they are no longer that person. A lot of people can't and won't do it.

If mark777 really wants that tractor, he may have to wait and buy it from a widow -- or an executor.