How to: Ford 8N Flathead V8 conversion

/ How to: Ford 8N Flathead V8 conversion #1  

Iowa2210

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2210
Couldn't find anything in the search, but here is my dilema. I happen to have a complete 1949 Ford Custom Deluxe 4-Door sedan. I haven't had any luck selling it (complete car) and have been toying with the idea of picking up an 8N and doing the "Funk" conversion. I see that there are still conversion kits available, although they use an external frame instead of the integral cast iron oil pan that the Funk conversion used.

I know that there are some sheet metal and cooling issues that have to be remedied during the conversion. My question is: does anybody publish a book on how to do this, or a video, or have detailed notes on the coversion? I'm sure I could pull it off, but having directions might make the process go much quicker.

Oh, and if anybody knows of an 8N with a bad engine, let me know (I guess I should probably have an 8N if I want to do the conversion /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Thanks,

Iowa2210

/ How to: Ford 8N Flathead V8 conversion #3  
The 9n and 2n would work as well as the 8n.. same bolt pattern.

I agree.. try stauffer. Also.. check out www.n-news.com.. there have been many articles about engine re-powers.

Might also look up marvin bauman he's pretty much the 8n king.. got dozens of re-powerd N's.. with everything in them including a turbine engine..

Soundguy

/ How to: Ford 8N Flathead V8 conversion
I sent Stauffer an email to get the pricing on the kit. I aslo found a reprint of the original directions for the Funk V8 conversion on Ebay. I may have to pick that up, maybe it will be a nice guide and help me understand what I am getting into.

If anybody knows of an 8N with a blown engine, I'm lookin!

Iowa2210

/ How to: Ford 8N Flathead V8 conversion #5  
kick over to ytmag.com.. then to the 9n-2n-8n section..

I'm a regular over there.

Probably everything you ever wanted or didn't want to know about an N series tractor resides in that forum...

Soundguy