Tired Ford 3000 engine......

/ Tired Ford 3000 engine...... #1  

Kaliburz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 60, 3020, 2030, 2240, 2640, Farmall A
Just got an old Ford 3000 diesel tractor with a Selec-O-Speed tranny. It's late 60's vintage (either 67, 68, maybe 69). I've been told that they are 48HP (some say 50HP) engine and 38HP PTO. So they're not quite a 40HP PTO rated tractor (as stock/new).

Any how, it has a LOT of hours (just guessing, based on how it is used, over 10K). I am unsure if it has ever had an engine rebuild (maybe rings at one point, but unsure). The original owner is passed away and the owners I bought it from say no engine work has been done.

My limited experiance with it only brings up more questions. I tried to get it started early one morning (about 7:30-8am) after a cold night, upper 30's, lower 40's (parked in the open). Any how, no luck. Kept cranking and cranking. Just puffed out white smoke and one could smell the diesel in the smoke. Just wouldn't fire up. But, when I tried at 1pm (temp was about high 50's to low/mid 60's), she fired right up. During idel, I don't notice any white smoke.

Pending the results of a compression test, I've been thinking of opening up the engine. One mechanic I talked to (New Holland) said that machining costs are quite high now. And it would prob. be more economical to get a remanufactured engine. I'm sure this current engine is rebuildable, but I'd like more power.

I know the Ford 4000 is rated 55HP (engine) and 46HP (PTO). I'm a novice when it comes to Fords. For some reason, I don't think the original 38HP PTO is enough for my application. I was thinking of swapping in a rebuilt 4000 engine or even a newer diesel. But, I don't know what HP ratings are availale in 3 cylinder diesels that will fit this Ford.

Any comments, suggestions.

/ Tired Ford 3000 engine...... #2  
Stick with O.E.M. in one form or another. Either rebuild what you have or get reman motor from NH. If you start swapping motors, assuming that's even possible, you'll create a misfit. Bigger motor would need bigger cooling system most likely. Many more changes to be made.

You mention Selecto-Speed tranny. That's a somewhat delicate transmission. I'd stay away from more torque/hp with that in mind.

If the old tractor is just now making you think you need bigger, remember that you're using a tired old engine now. A FRESH new or rebuilt one will have more git-up-and-go.

I've tried a few times to get more out of a tractor than what it originally had to offer. (I tried turbo kits) You get the power at the trade-off of owning an unreliable tractor.

In light of all the time involved in rebuilding an engine, a "crate motor" from NH sounds mighty attractive. That's the route I'd go.

3000 Ford diesel or gas with a fresh engine is a great tractor. I've owned one of each.

/ Tired Ford 3000 engine...... #3  
Did he give you an idea on how much a new crate motor would run...I would really be suprised if it were more affordable then rebuilding your motor.

Of course my thinking on a tractor the age of yours is if it will crank then I wouldn't fool with it. But, in your case if it will only cranks sometimes then rebuilding might just be the ticket. I know we can build a 3000 diesel for some where in the range of 2K-2.5K depending on the crank, etc. and that includes labor.

Good luck with whatever you decide, you have got yourself a mighty fine tractor either way!

/ Tired Ford 3000 engine...... #4  
The compression test will tell you a better story, but does it behave weak after it starts?

Not sure about the Fords, but I know a few other diesels in the 1950's and '60s were very cold blooded below about 40F - even with glow plugs!

So if cold starts are the only problem, you have a variety of cheap solutions: coolant heater, oil pan heater (the magnetics are a bit cheesey, but if you stick it on and pull it back off before put the tractor gear you'll be OK), ether (but never ether with glow plugs); and make sure you have a good fresh battery at the maximum recommended CCA.

If you do decide on a rebuild and do most of the work yourself, I'd be surprised if a rebuild exceeds $1500, but am only guessing.

/ Tired Ford 3000 engine...... #5  
I'm with the others. I wouldn't be looking to swap engines.. If I needed more power.. I'd swap tractors.

What are you wanting to do with it?

I'd also be very suprised if your's could not be rebuilt for a bit less than a reman.. unless they are having a 'sale' on the remans or something... remember... the remans had to be rebuilt too... and had to be mcahined.. etc..

Is the SOS working good right now?

Soundguy

/ Tired Ford 3000 engine......
Thanks all. I guess pending the compression test, I'll hold off on ideas.

I've repowered JD's w/ newer, more powerful engines. We have an early 70's 2030 (60 PTO HP) that we put a 80 HP engine in 1993. It's now putting out 72 PTO HP.

I didn't actually talk to the parts department to find out how much a NH remanufactured engine was. A flier they had listed something like $4,500 for a "Reman 3 cylinder replacment level engine". What ever that means, the pic shows a complete 100% motor. It lists a 4110 (48 PTO HP)and 4610 (53 PTO HP) engine at that price. Two year warrantee on dealer installed engines, one year on the fuel system and turbo (if they have one).

I'll get some numbers off the tractor and venture in to see how much a reman in the same engine vs installing a newer reman w/ more HP. It's possible that only a limited types of engine might fit in the 3000.

Oh, it's not exactly "truely" a Ford tractor, not 100%. The power and propultion is from a Ford tractor. But... not how the factory imagined. It primarly runs a hydrulic pump via tractor PTO.

It's mounted on a Chisholm Ryder grape harvester...... (pics are located on the site in my uploaded pics) These are representative pics...not my actual machine.
4899HarvesterLeft-med.jpg

4899HarvesterPower-med.jpg

The mechanic I did chat w/ who's serviced it said that Select-O-Speeds were installed in tractors up to 70HP. So in theory, the tranny should be able to handle the power. Then again, it's not pulling anything but it's self. (If the current tranny "goes" due to the replacing/rebuilding the engine, then it happens. Package deal came w/ a spare rebuild, ready to install Select-O-Speed.)

And she might be parked in a grape field, so the idea of plugging a coolent heater or oil warmer isn't so easy....unless I bring a generator and get there early.

A factory rebuild is what I'm leaning at, if the engine is avail and priced right.

/ Tired Ford 3000 engine...... #7  
Talk about throwin' us a curveball!

Completely different set of rules.

Since you're looking at PTO load only, and not putting much load on the final drives, a more powerful engine might fly. Still, I'd make any jumps in small steps.

The Select-O-Speed did come on 70 HP tractors (6000 Commander) BUT... They had a high fail rate. They weren't exactly the greatest thing Ford ever did. The were nice when working, but EXPENSIVE when they broke. I'd stay FAR away from one on a TRACTOR used as a tractor. What you have there won't load a transmission near as rough. Should do OK there too.

/ Tired Ford 3000 engine...... #8  
I've never had a diesel without glow plugs that would start at near freezing temps. The neighbours Case 585 only has a couple of thousand hours and at the freezing mark you can crank until the starter burns up and it won't start. At +5 C it will start after some cranking, at +10 not much trouble at all.

The Case - IH 584 we had with 6000 hrs on it wouldn't start at +5 even, needed plugged in.

Without power you need ether. The ford's and IH's had ether kits that mounted the can on the side of the engine with a dash pushbutton.

/ Tired Ford 3000 engine...... #9  
2440 Deere started this winter @ +10 degrees, but that's with block heater. Started like summer.

Massey ferguson 150 started @ +7 DEGREES no heater, no glow plugs. Turned about 1 complete revolotion then fired. (Sure don't advocate starting a cold diesel without a heater, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do)

Old gas 3000 Ford had to be pull started on Jan 2nd when buyer came to get it. It had about ZERO compression left.

/ Tired Ford 3000 engine......
I've thought about adding an "intake heater". I did that to my late model JD 2240. The 2250 or 2255 had a big 12V intake heater that could be installed.

In theory, if I took two of those and machined the intake maifold (assuming it's steel and not cast iron) and set the JD intake heaters in there.... I know that JD recently offered a kit for thier old 4010, 4020, 3010, 3020 (and that style) to put a intake pre heater. Not glow plugs..... but.

As I said, doing research here. I rather get opinions and options heard evaluated.

She is a different beast.....