Power steering kit for Ford 640

/ Power steering kit for Ford 640 #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Didn't someone post a link on here to a guy who made power steering kits for Ford tractors? I can't find the link and am curious about the kits for a Ford 640. Thanks.

/ Power steering kit for Ford 640 #2  
Robert_in_NY said:
Didn't someone post a link on here to a guy who made power steering kits for Ford tractors? I can't find the link and am curious about the kits for a Ford 640. Thanks.

Since power steering was a dealer option on your machine.. you should still be able to get just about everything from CNH.. Or at least from a junkyard.. etc.

In any case... these people DO have kits for the 600 series.

http://www.jacksonpowersteering.com/

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/store/model_parts.cgi?SearchArea=FORD&&md=600&cat=Steering&r=mcats

( 17th item on page is a universal 4 cyl / gas, kit.. etc )

Both good people to deal with.

Soundguy

/ Power steering kit for Ford 640 #3  
Power steering parts for these old tractors haven't been available thru CNH dealers for a long time. An uncle of mine had to scour salvage yards 15-20 years ago to get parts because they weren't manufactured then.

/ Power steering kit for Ford 640 #4  
dgl24087 said:
Power steering parts for these old tractors haven't been available thru CNH dealers for a long time. An uncle of mine had to scour salvage yards 15-20 years ago to get parts because they weren't manufactured then.

That's funny.. I have gott many power steering parts from CNH. The pumps they sell are not 'like original'.. they are gear pumps.. not vane pumps.. but they bolt up.

I think your dealer was being lazy. I've walke din to a NH dealer before and asked for a part for my 8n, and had them give me the 'no longer serviced line' when i know for a fact that the part number is still good.

I just did a quick search in my master parts catalog.. as of least year, every part save gasket and reapir kits for the oem pump were listed as good numbers. The pump kits and assembly were listed as NLS, and had a superceded number for a different pump.. etc. .. This catalog covers the naa,501,600,700,800,900, 1801 model lines of tractor from 1953-1959

A 640 will have a manf date between 55 and 57.. etc.

Same PS is used on the 4cyl 2000/4000. A guy up the road is selling a 2000 with a newly repaired ps setup... guess where the parts came from? CNH...

Soundguy