Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #11  
Birdman said:
Anyone have any tips or techniques for getting the clutch free on my Ford Jubilee?

Anyone have any advice? Thanks

Birdman,

One thing you need to pay attention to. The Jubilee and the early 600 series tractors had a very weak differential casting to hold the pinion gear to the ring gear. It's where they always break. Too much of a shock load and you will be looking for a back half to replace the differential.

Take out the starter and spray the clutch to flywheel interface all around with WD40. It will lubricate it a bit and get into the gaps. It will also evaporate away much quicker than a real penetrating oil. Do that every day for several days or a week leaving the clutch peddle dogged down. Then try the things already listed. Personnally, I would get a 2 bottom plow and drop it into a tuff sod bound field. Keep the clutch dogged down the whole time!

Remember when applying a load to "shock" the clutch, the tractor may stop but the wheels may keep going and flip it over on you. That would be "bad".

jb

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #12  
My old high school shop teacher would have said to only correct way to repair it would be to split the tractor, and replace the clutch.
If that is a 9" single a clutch kit is about $175.00. If it is a dual clutch then could be quit a bit more.

Chuck

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #13  
No double clutch for the 4spds...

Soundguy

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #14  
john_bud said:
Take out the starter and spray the clutch to flywheel interface all around with WD40. It will lubricate it a bit and get into the gaps. It will also evaporate away much quicker than a real penetrating oil. Do that every day for several days or a week leaving the clutch peddle dogged down. Then try the things already listed. Personnally, I would get a 2 bottom plow and drop it into a tuff sod bound field. Keep the clutch dogged down the whole time!

I like your suggestion of multiple doses of WD40 or PB Blaster, jb. One thing Birdman should be ready for is if the clutch breaks free and there is a lot of lube in there, it's gonna smoke something awful for a few minutes and the clutch will probably go from stuck to slipping until all the oil residue gets burned off. Just a guess...

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #15  
On my ford when that happens, I just run the bush hog with the clutch depressed. It will only take a a bit, maybe run it over some clumps of grass, or some small branches, it will pop loose.

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee
Thanks for all the suggestions. My least favorite is taking it apart. I did that years ago when I replaced the counter gear. BUT with my luck that is probably what I will have to do. Right now it is too muddy/frozen to plow and most of the weeds and brush have died back for the winter. I have been a little leery of getting too aggressive because I am afraid it will start to flip over and without the clutch working properly that could get real ugly. The tires are loaded so it does get a good grip. I tried dragging a Locust log around while stomping the brakes, no luck. I think I will start spraying it with WD40 or kerosene, I can live with the smoke if it works. Thanks again