Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #1  

Birdman

Silver Member
Anyone have any tips or techniques for getting the clutch free on my Ford Jubilee?
I sort of just abandoned this tractor when I got the new JD. I left it outside one summer and then moved it into the barn. That was 3 years ago. I started thinking recently how useful it would be to have it running again. The main reason for abandoning it was it was always hard to start and it just kept getting harder and harder to get it going. So I decided to convert it to 12 volts and get it going again.
Added a new alternator, 12 volt coil, new solenoid, 12 volt battery and all new wires. The starter would only spin and not engage so I took it out and had it tested, checked OK, but the drive was rusted up real bad so I put on a new starter drive. Drained the gas tank, removed and cleaned the carb, added new points and condenser and it turned over about 2 times and started right up on a very cold morning.( that would have been impossible when it was 6 volt). Then I went to take it for a test ride and discovered that the clutch is stuck.
I can start it in gear or start it in neutral and slip it into gear but that is not the best thing to do. I have tried driving it around to get it free and I have been sitting a concret block on the clutch pedal, but still no luck.
Anyone have any advice? Thanks

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #2  
Mornin Birdman,
I never worked on a Jubilee but I would try and adjust the free peddle play according to the operators manual and then put it in fourth gear and rock it and or tow it. This may break it free ! Good luck ! :)

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #3  
In the back of my barn sits a 1956 Ferguson F-40 that my dad bought new. When he died, I hauled it to my place. It sat there for the better part of 10 years without moving. Last fall when I was moving, it seemed like a perfectly good chance to get it started again. I had to load it on the trailer somehow. When I went to start it, I found the clutch "froze". That was my chance to try something that I read a few years earlier.

I jacked the rear wheels up off the ground. They were blocked up safe and secure. (Tires several inches off the ground. Jacks or blocks under axle housing) That allowed me to get it started in gear with no trouble at all. I had it in high range, 1st gear. (about 5 MPH) Throttled up to about 1500 RPM. I held the clutch pedal down, then stomped on the brakes. It wasn't the smoothest thing that I've ever done, but it did break the clutch loose. While it was loose, I drove around for a while, working the clutch pedal in and out until things worked freely.

Dragging it with another tractor while someone holds the clutch pedal down and tranny in gear may break it loose too.

Last edited:
   / Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #4  
I've had good luck just driving them around with the clutch depressed and stab the brakes every so often.

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #5  
If you have access spray the clutch liberally with kerosene. It will penetrate the rust holding the clutch to the flywheel. It will free up in a couple of days and wears off quickly. I spray the clutch on my '43 Cat D7 a couple times each year to keep it from sticking. A big Cat that doesn't want to stop can get your attention. Used to have the same problem with a Farmall A. MikeD74T

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I have adjusted the clutch, removed a lot of freeplay from the pedal.
I have been driving on the road and stomping on the brakes, figured the paved surface would give better grip than driving through the fields.
The only access I have to the clutch is by removing the starter. If I blindly spray kerosene in there is there anything I can damage?
Is towing it better than driving it? High gear better than a lower gear?
Not sure if I have the right stuff to safely jack up the rear wheels, but will get what I need and try that in a couple of days if all else fails.

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #7  
Birdman said:
Thanks everyone for the replies.
I have adjusted the clutch, removed a lot of freeplay from the pedal.
I have been driving on the road and stomping on the brakes, figured the paved surface would give better grip than driving through the fields.
The only access I have to the clutch is by removing the starter. If I blindly spray kerosene in there is there anything I can damage?
Is towing it better than driving it? High gear better than a lower gear?
Not sure if I have the right stuff to safely jack up the rear wheels, but will get what I need and try that in a couple of days if all else fails.

Use your FEL and a chain to pick up rear end then put blocks, jack stands etc. Using one tractor to work on another tractor is allowed on this forum.

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #8  
You can also attach a mower tot he pto, engage a pto, and then start her in gear... leav ethe clutch blocked of course..

If that don't work.. get out and go mowing with the clutch blocked.. aim for the thick stuff that can shear shear pins.

Drive in figure 8's stabbing brakes opposite of your turn... Eventually she will break free.

Soundguy

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #9  
The reason that the clutch is stuck is the face of the clutch friction disk has rusted to the flywheel. I know that what others have suggest has worked in the past, but not always. Driving it isn't going to do much to free it, unless you can put it up against a tree and push till it stalls. With the tires digging in and the engine trying to push the tree, sometimes it will break loose as a result of the clutch wanting to slip. Other than that, it is time to take it apart to replace the clutch facing.
Dusty

/ Stuck clutch Ford Jubilee #10  
MikeD74T said:
A big Cat that doesn't want to stop can get your attention. MikeD74T
um yeah i can vouch for that, :)

here's my clutch freeing suggestions, if you have a loader get it in about 2 gears to high and rev her up a fair bit (read lots). tie the clutch pedal down and attack an imovable object. might take a few goes. if you dont have a loader then a plough with a bit of size to it. load it up on the plough (again in a taller gear and lots of RPM) then start banging the brakes. it will require a shock load to break it free. lots of PRM and tall gear more rpm = more force trying to break clutch free. higher gear = easier to load engine and clutch to full load. have fun and please do it in a big paddock with very few things to hit. would hate to hear you have taken out the house :D