9N Fuel Problem

/ 9N Fuel Problem #1  

Cider

Maybe someone can help me. When I start my tractor, it runs for about 5 - 10 seconds, then shuts off. I am getting fuel fine to the carb, but am not sure what to check next. Is there a screen / filter on the carb that may be plugged up or should I just go ahead and rebuild the unit?

/ 9N Fuel Problem #2  
Maybe someone can help me. When I start my tractor, it runs for about 5 - 10 seconds, then shuts off. I am getting fuel fine to the carb, but am not sure what to check next. Is there a screen / filter on the carb that may be plugged up or should I just go ahead and rebuild the unit?

I am not sure how similar to an 8n it is but on a 8n, there are 3 screens. One in the tank that you have to unscrew the sediment bowl housing to get to, one in the sediment bowl, and one on the 90 degree brass elbow that the fuel line screws into on the carb.

the float in the carb may also not be working properly. If you think you are up to the challenge, i'd probabally recuild the carb anyway. The kits are only like $10 bucks.

/ 9N Fuel Problem #3  
i don't have my 9n here to check. there may be a screw in plug at the bottom of carb, remove plug catch the gas that run,s out, see if the gas keeps running out or stops after a few seconds. like ld1 said the float may be stuck and only seapage is geting by. you may need to blow out the gas line.

/ 9N Fuel Problem #4  
Cider, I see you have some very good replys but I was wondering if it could be electrical. Not sure if your 9N is still 6 volt but I've had coils that would open as soon as they got a little warm, also you might check your points gap.

Last edited:
   / 9N Fuel Problem #5  
9n ford, It acts like fuel, it will run about 10sec. and then die. I wonder about the coil. It has new points & condenser and a new carb. It appears to be getting plenty of fuel. Pete

/ 9N Fuel Problem #7  
My 8N used to have a problem with the carburetor float sticking. To check for this, after the engine starts and quits, hit the carburetor (gently) with a wrench, while watching the fuel sediment bowl underneath the fuel tank. If the float was stuck, you should be able to see the fuel flowing into the sediment bowl, and it should stop flowing after a few seconds, once the carburetor float bowl is full.

I've found that if you turn off the fuel valve at the sediment bowl when you are done using the tractor, the float will be less likely to stick.