Tractor
    Ford 8n 1950

Default Ford 8n wont start

I was using my Ford 8N to cut the field. It quit. I checked for fire and didn't get any. I checked the coil wire connection through the distributor and found that it was shorted. I fixed that and a ohm meter checked it ok. I then had fire to the plugs. It still wouldnt start. I pulled several plugs and found them somewhat black but no evidence of gas. I took the carburator apart checked the needle and its working ok. The carburator had gas in it. It still wont start. I have ordered a rebuild kit for the carb. I hope that fixes it. Is there any thing else about the carburator that would cause it not to supply gas to the cylinders?

Tractor
    1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103

Default Re: Ford 8n wont start

Check the jet. Mine did this and had a small piece of trash in the jet restricting fuel flow.

Tractor
    Ford 8n 1950

Default Re: Ford 8n wont start

I found out its not in the carb. The distributor has slipped time. I retimed it to only stall again and had to retime it. I am beginning to believe that the pin in the lower gear on the distributor may be sheared. It's running now after the last retiming. If it does it again I will assume the pin is sheared and will pull the distributor and check to see if the gear has slipped position. The position of number 1 had moved approximately 180 when I had to reset it and then moved again about the same amount back to approximately the original place the second time.