Ford 1300 hydraulic issue, need help!

/ Ford 1300 hydraulic issue, need help! #1  

bigdon

Tractor
Ford 1300 1979
I have had a 1300 Ford tractor for several years and it has about 1200 hours on it. It gets used very infrequently with a 4 ft bush hog or 51 inch woods finish mower or small blade in the winter. Recently I was using the bush hog and after 3 hours I noticed the tractor going slower and slower, also noting that the 3ph was not picking up the bush hog. Took back to the house, stopped the tractor, checked the hydraulic fluid dip stick and it says I have adequate fluid there. 2 hours later, restart the tractor and seems to run fine and 3ph working now also. But with more use, 30 minutes, the problem shows up again and I put tractor up until I can figure it out. I have never changed the hydraulic filter on the rear of the pump, so I order one and when it comes I remove the small housing, I notice a bit of metal filings on the inside of the cap, change the filter, reassemble and fire it up only to find that I still have the same prob after a short time. Found a used hydraulic pump for it but now I am fearful of where the metal filings are coming from. 1. They could be from the pump itself or 2. they could be from some other place and could have caused the destruction of the pump which would kill any other pump I put into the system, therefore wasted money and effort. Has anyone ever dealt with these issues and what do you think the likely source of the filings is and how can I check this? I know I am asking a lot of questions but I am a CRNA by trade and not a mechanic. I can pick my way thru a project so I am anxious to know if this is something I should tackle or should I farm it out. Please tell me if I have a fixable issue or do I have a 2000 lb boat anchor?! Thanks

/ Ford 1300 hydraulic issue, need help!
Any ideas out there?

/ Ford 1300 hydraulic issue, need help! #3  
I would put a gage in the system and check for operating pressure. If you have low pressure, then it could be a relief valve open. A flow meter and pressure gage setup would be ideal, with a load valve. That will tell you if the pump is weak or just bad. Is it a hydrostatic transmission? If the pump is good, the the fluid is going somewhere, and you need to track the fluid flow.

/ Ford 1300 hydraulic issue, need help! #4  
New Holland section has a number of people that know a fair amount about the Shibura series tractors and should be able to help you. My shop manual does not discuss a hydrostatic transmission for your tractor so it is no help. Hydraulic oil should be changed periodically, so you might try that.
As far as installing you "new" pump filter should oil clean before it gets to the pump.

/ Ford 1300 hydraulic issue, need help! #5  
i have a ford 1300 also. it has a front loader and backhoe. i have the same problem as stated above some times the tractor has absolutely no hydraulic pressure. let5 it set a while and it may work again. when it its working i have a lot of hyd pressure as i can't believe how dwell the backhoe digs. i had a small job to do this morning and drove it up the road a 1/2 mile when i got there bucket and bqackhoe wouldn't work. i barought it home and took out the pipe plug above the pump and primed the pump and everything worked very very well until i started up the road again and hyd quit again, i take it tghe pump is losing its prime does anyone know if there is a check valve in the suction line of the hydraulic pump and where it is located.

/ Ford 1300 hydraulic issue, need help! #6  
started up the old 1300 this morning to see if hyd. still work, seemed to be working fine. called the guy i was going to do the job for yesterday and told him i was coming at a slower speed in case it was churning up the oil when traveling at full speed. i drove a little faster than walking speed and when i arrived the hydraulics on the backhoe and fel worked just fine. thiis has happened before if i drive any distance so i am wondering if the gears in the transmission and there a few being its a 4speed with a 3speed auxillary isn't churning up the oil and putting air bubbles in it. just my theory.

/ Ford 1300 hydraulic issue, need help! #7  
It does sound like you are getting air into the system from somewhere. Tranny shouldn't put air into it. When it is not working again check the dipstick for foamy frothy oil. Not sure if yours is set up the same but my 1310 had a small nick in the o ring that seals the hydro screen. 1310 just has a metal screen above the pump, no filter. I had that apart 2-3 times before I saw the nick. Thats just my experience and 1 place to look could be anywhere there is a seal, or a pinhole in the tubing.