Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear

/ Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear
Thanks for your patience with me! What I think you are saying, "engage it w/the shifter" (as what makes the most sense in trouble shooting it to me) is with the top off get inside and move the sliding mechanism to test for binding as you engage & disengage it from that point. Are we on the same page??? Just to inform you that I won't have an opportunity to work on it very soon as my son is using it on a landscaping project at his home. However I'll psss on to him your suggestions just in case he has to pull off the top cover to get it unstuck. He is quite mechanically inclined so I would respect his analysis. He is trying to work with it w/o having to change ranges.
I will definately report back to you w/our findings!
Thanks again!!!

/ Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear #12  
Yes, that is what I meant. I think almost everything could be done in 2nd range, except heavy loader work. I hope it works out, Im really fond of my 1710.

I shared your suggestion to check for binding with my son who is using the machine right now. He replied that he did that and that it moves freely as long as the gears mesh.
I hope I can get this problem resolved as other than this problem I am very satisfied with my machine as well. I never realized what these compact tractors were capable of, considering their size and horsepower. I just bought it early this year and it has worked well for everything I did with it. It has high hours but its condition doesn't reflect it. And like I said before, when I had the transmission oil drained before and had the top cover off I couldn't detect and amount of evident wear of gears or shifting mechanism.
I was actually amazed of the condition.
Like you I also found that I could do most of what I used it for w/o need to change ranges. However my son is doing some major landscaping with need to creap in low range yet transporting material in the loader bucket any distance he needed more ground speed. That is when we first experienced the range shifter getting stuck.

/ Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear #14  
The only other thing I could say, I used to have a small Kubota ( that I traded in on the 1710 ) It was kind of like a 1710 in that it had 2 shifters, Sometimes it got stuck in gear...Not real knowledgable about transmissions, I brought it to the dealer. It was some kind of a retaining pin was worn out. It never got stuck after that. At this point, I think if you can get someone to look at your tractor, they would be more help than I can offer. Im glad its working out though, its nice that we don't all suffer the HST craze :)

Thanks so much for your suggestions and all of your time. At least now I can assume I have done all I can do. Will take your advise and have a dealer check it out when my son gets his project finished. That is if he can w/o further problems. I have since talked to a mechanic at a dealer and he expects something is worn, but stopped short of suggesting what I could look for. I will try to remember to fill you in on the results, but that will likely be some time down the road.