Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear

/ Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear #1  

george46

Tractor
ford model 1710 & ford 800
I have a Ford compact tractor model 1710. It has high hours but works well with one exception. It has a twelve speed transmission, with two shifters side by side: The right shifter is of the typical three forward gears and reverse. The left shifter is four gear ranges, which accounts for a total of twelve gears. The problem being: occassionally the left (range) shifter gets stuck in what ever range you were using and cannot be moved. The only resolution is to remove the transmission top cover with shifters and pry the shifting fork out of gear. As I said it has high hours but I drained the oil to view the gears looking for signs of wear. I was surprised at how good everything looked, as I expected to see evident signs of wear. There may be specific points to inspect for wear (that may even require dissamby to check) that a experienced ford tractor mechanic would be aware of that I'm not, but let me add (not boasting now mind you) that I have considerable mechanical talents & skills. However I'm not too proud to ask for help and will greatly appreciate any input to resolve this issue!

Last edited:
   / Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear #3  
Hello & WELCOME to TBN!

I moved your thread to the Ford Forum. :)

/ Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear #4  
It sounds like a fork could be bent?

/ Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear
Thank you so much! Can you tell me, should a bent fork be evident upon inspection to an unexperienced eye??

/ Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear #6  
Pull of the housing top plate and put the shifter in gear. Then you would look down into the case, and see if the shifter is rubbing.

/ Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear #7  
do a search here I rememebr someones posts with alot of pics of the case open.. might help..

I'm with you on pulling the top cover, but the shifter comes off as mounted in the top cover. What I refer to as shifter is the handle that sticks out of the top cover with the black knob. Or do you mean for me then to slide the shifting mechanism down inside the transmission on its shaft to engage in gear?
Sorry if I appear to be thick! I'm not too proud to ask.
I'm very grateful for your help and don't want to miss something that may lead to resolving my problem

Thanks for sharing your suggestion! However I was uncessful at doing a search to find the post that contained the pics as you suggested. I'm new to all of this and maybe just don't know enough about it yet. I did three tries butno positive results.

/ Ford 1710 transmission range shifter sticks in gear #10  
George, you don't sound thick to me. I would want to ask if I had problems with my 1710. Actually wish I could help you more, but my 1710 shifts mint. It seems like your shifter has to rubbing something inside. If you don't see anything obvious, maybe you could try engaging it with the shifter. I think thats what you were saying. :)