Where is the best and cheapest place to buy the blue Ford Paint ?

/ Where is the best and cheapest place to buy the blue Ford Paint ? #1  

99FordStang

Tractor
1975 Ford 2000 TLB
Where is the best and cheapest place to buy the blue Ford Paint ? or at least the color of the Ford 2000 TLB tractor I have ?

/ Where is the best and cheapest place to buy the blue Ford Paint ? #2  
It depends.
Are you just touching up, or painting the whole thing? Is your tractor faded?
Rattle cans or by the gallon?

Your local NH dealer will have the OEM color.
IIRC, Tractor Supply has rattle cans. Also, some NAPA stores will carry it.
Don't know about the price.

/ Where is the best and cheapest place to buy the blue Ford Paint ? #4  
I've always had good luck with the Van Sickle paints. At the local farm and home chain (Atwoods) it is reasonably priced. I believe that Lowes carrys some tractor colors (Krylon?), but I haven't used it.

Honestly over the last 40 years I've come to learn that the problem with most paints is due to poor surface preparation. Do a good job of pre paint prep and a cheap paint will work good, do a lousy prep job and a good paint isn't worth a crap.

Ken

/ Where is the best and cheapest place to buy the blue Ford Paint ? #5  
Best and cheapest don't go together.

Exactly.... you can have one or the other. not both. just like everything in life.

/ Where is the best and cheapest place to buy the blue Ford Paint ?
Thanks everyone for the information, I have a little experience with minor paint and repairs with my Ford Mustang and Ive done well with that. Exactly right preparation and surface is the key. I appreciate all the help.

/ Where is the best and cheapest place to buy the blue Ford Paint ? #7  
If you are talking rattle can paint, IMO, it is worth it to get it from the CNH dealer. Yes it is more epensive, but a can of that stuff covers WAY more than a cheap can sold elsewhere. They put WAY more pigment in it. The cheap stuff takes SEVERAL coats, and if you try to do it all on one, it runs and looks like crap. The CNH blue at the dealer goes ALONG way.

/ Where is the best and cheapest place to buy the blue Ford Paint ? #8  
If you are talking rattle can paint, IMO, it is worth it to get it from the CNH dealer. Yes it is more epensive, but a can of that stuff covers WAY more than a cheap can sold elsewhere. They put WAY more pigment in it. The cheap stuff takes SEVERAL coats, and if you try to do it all on one, it runs and looks like crap. The CNH blue at the dealer goes ALONG way.

OEM paint is Valspar.

/ Where is the best and cheapest place to buy the blue Ford Paint ? #9  
Whatever it is, it is better than the $2 or $3 cans you can get from wherever.

When it comes to paint (talking rattle cans here), I am a big believer in "you get what you pay for".

Sure, a $2 can may cost 3x's less than a $6 can, but in my experience, the $6 can will go 3x's (or more) farther, and look better. The cheap stuff is just too "watered down" IMO

/ Where is the best and cheapest place to buy the blue Ford Paint ? #10  
OEM paint is Valspar.

Also true of John Deere.

If you just want something for an old work tractor go with Van Sickle, but it will not be a factory quality paint job.

If I wanted it NICE and was doing the whole tractor I would spring for Imron one stage polyurethane. That will cost more than OEM Valspar but it will hold up better and have a better surface finish. OEM Valspar paints can do an automotive quality job but you have to add a hardener and it still isn't as tough as Imron. We have a IH pickup painted with International OEM tractor paint and hardener in the family, it looks nice (or did) but another $200 would have given us Imron and it would still look nice. The paint job is six or seven years old now and it looks like it. I did a VW in Imron, actually the Finch equivalent surplus from TWA when they changed to American Airlines and I see the car fairly often. After ten years it looks exactly the same. No fading.