Silver Member
    Tractor
    Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)

Default Ford 8n 2 row cultivator

I have an old 8n which runs nicely and i picked up a Dearborn 2 row cultivator. How wide should I set the corn rows? I plant by hand but I now need to cultivate with the tractor because the lumbar spine won't let me use the walk behind rototiller for weed control. I plant 4 row sections, 25 feet long of white, bicolor and yellow every 10 days, then repeat. I set up stakes, and string, then furrow with a dutch hoe then drop the seed through a funnel and PVC pipe (so I don't have to bend or stoop). That way I see the seed has dropped then I water the grove and then cover. All the sweet corn is donated to church kitchens and or food banks. I do enbibe in a few ears myself for quality control. I ate about 10 ears one night and almost blew out my large intestine with gas. I almost called Consolidated Gas to see if they need a coproducer.
    Thanks for your help...RockyDoc...95th. Evac Hosp. RVN Da Nang...I think the Agent Orange is getting to me....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0175-jpg   -img_0176-jpg  

Tractor
    8NB

Default Re: Ford 8n 2 row cultivator

Quote Originally Posted by docrocky View Post
    I have an old 8n which runs nicely and i picked up a Dearborn 2 row cultivator. How wide should I set the corn rows? I plant by hand but I now need to cultivate with the tractor because the lumbar spine won't let me use the walk behind rototiller for weed control. I plant 4 row sections, 25 feet long of white, bicolor and yellow every 10 days, then repeat. I set up stakes, and string, then furrow with a dutch hoe then drop the seed through a funnel and PVC pipe (so I don't have to bend or stoop). That way I see the seed has dropped then I water the grove and then cover. All the sweet corn is donated to church kitchens and or food banks. I do enbibe in a few ears myself for quality control. I ate about 10 ears one night and almost blew out my large intestine with gas. I almost called Consolidated Gas to see if they need a coproducer.
    Thanks for your help...RockyDoc...95th. Evac Hosp. RVN Da Nang...I think the Agent Orange is getting to me....
    Good work on both counts! I too am growing for food banks. Not much else a wore out old soldier can do. I am growing two cultivars of Irish potato, two of pole bean and one of Asian Winged Bean.
    I was a customer of an Evac Hospital in RVN. THANKS!
    Johnny Coleman
    SSG, USA
    Retired