Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default blade on a string trimmer

I was at a community event last Sunday sprucing up a cool old school house and property....One of the gals brought a really nice stihl trimmer with a balde on it....this blade has about 8 or ten teeth and appeared to be working very well.....Other blades I've seen had many many small teeth and one tool I used about 30 years ago had three teeth.....Whats the conventional wistom on blades for trimmers? I've got a beuty little shindiawa string trmmmer that I havn't p[ut the blade on yet.....Was thinkijng fewer teeth would be a whole lot easier to sharpen.....Whaddaya say?
    Rob "stayalert" M
    Norwich, VT

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284

Default Re: blade on a string trimmer

I don't know if more or less is better?
    I remember my aunt only had 8 teeth but the dentist charged her the full price to clean em!.

Tractor
    NH TN75

Trimmer blades vary depending on what you will be cutting -

If you are cutting tall grass and weeds then you can use one like the fourth one from the bottom - It works great, does not collect debris as much as some of the others, and is easy to sharpen

STIHL Incorporated United States -- Products -- Trimmers -- Manufacturing and Selling The World's Number One Chain Saw

Make sure your trimmer can accomodate whatever blade you choose
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17)

Tractor
    Kubota 7300

Finally, a subject I can actually post an opinion on!
    I use the brush knife (3 point blade) on my stihl brushcutter and it does wonders on blackberry vines. The interesting difference between this and a string trimmer is the motion--up down instead of side to side. Although it works with a side to side motion, it not only cuts but shreds in an up/down motion. Wear eye protection at the very least (I wear a chainsaw helmet--hardhat, ear protection, mesh faceguard).

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by petertang
    I use the brush knife (3 point blade) on my stihl brushcutter and it does wonders on blackberry vines. The interesting difference between this and a string trimmer is the motion--up down instead of side to side. Although it works with a side to side motion, it not only cuts but shreds in an up/down motion. Wear eye protection at the very least (I wear a chainsaw helmet--hardhat, ear protection, mesh faceguard).

Indeed. I also reccomend steel toed boots when using the bladed trimmers. In 1983 I was clearing a field with a bladed trimmer. I can hear the sound and see the toe of the boot I was wearing at the time. The trimmer hit the toe and put a nice clean slot right through the leather exposing and scuffing the nice steel toe....No injury but boy was I glad they required steel toed boots where I was working at the time.....

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Your trimmer is designed to handle certain implements. I have Stihls. Some have an Autocut string head, others have a poly-cut head with the plastic knives and a piece of string, and then there are saw blades that we use as well as a power scythe, which is one of my favirites. I will even use an adjustable hedge trimmer head on my 85 to mow down tall grass and small brush. It just lays it down without making a mess. We also have some of the triangular brush blades but I personally don't like them...more like hacking and bushwacking and hard on the trimmer.

Tractor
    Case IH 495

The 3 pt. blade is the best choice for things up to 1 inch diameter. I think it is also the hardest on your machine. The blade also tends to get out of balance if not sharpened evenly. If your cutting a lot of saplings get the blade that looks like a circular saw blade. It is easy to sharpen with a chainsaw file.

Tractor
    None

Don't ever put a fixed blade into your string trimmer unless you like trips to the Emergency Room.

I knowed this girl what had teeth like a mule. She could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.

Tractor
    John Deere 3038E & 1025R FILB

We use the Stihl disc blade that has teeth notched like a chainsaw blade's profile (but are not chain saw teeth...). You can resharpen it with a chainsaw file. It does a great job on bamboo, small saplings and bramble canes. It has been a great time saver but does require careful use and a stabil working position away from any bystanders.

Nick
    2010 John Deere 3038E w/305 FEL
    Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, Frontier BB2060 Box Blade, Jinma 6" Chipper from Ranch Hand Supply, TSC Tarter 5' Rotary Tiller, Middle Buster, ASC Keulavator Hiller/Bedder, Caroni 59" Finish Mower
    2010 Gator CX
    2013 John Deere 1025R FILB w/ Bro-Tek thumb & ripper
    Retired FBOP NRA Life

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Quote Originally Posted by petertang View Post
    Same here. I have two string trimmers with factory blade options. One is the 3-point and the other is circular with 8 cutting edges. The circular one will not do much moved up and down. The 3-pointed one does as he says. The circular one works great within about an inch of the ground. The higher it gets, the less effective it is.

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast