String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #71  
Oh sure, blame it on me. Just because my name was on it :D :D

_RaT_ said:
I would whole heartedly disagree, I did not say that, it was RobertN, :D

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #72  
I guess I should add dark; keep it in a cool, dry, dark place. Wine cellar's work :D

Same thing goes with my fire gear. One of the first things in Academy they talked about, was storing turnouts and wildland gear in a gear bag. UV does bad things to stuff with NFPA fire resistance ratings too.

_RaT_ said:
For the string, it is really a matter of keeping it cool and dry. If it sits in the bed of the truck in the 110degree Sacramento sun, it dries out real fast :D

Shoot Robert, if it sits in the sun up at Tahoe in the 70 degree weather with the intense UV up there it cracks and bleeds. :eek:

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #73  
_RaT_ said:
I would whole heartedly disagree, I did not say that, it was RobertN, :D

_RAT_, RobertN, those R guys are all the same! :D:D:D

Sorry about the mix up. :)

Later,
Dan

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #74  
FYI - This weekend I finally blew up my Craftsman's gearbox. Tore it apart and the gears are all flattened off. I ordered a new gearbox and will rebuild it and then retire this one to easier jobs like trimming around the house.

I ended up buying a Stihl FS90R for $299 to use on the tree farm. I'll try out the string approach on my brush before getting the blade attachments. I also went for the loop handle instead of the bicycle handles so that I can swap gearboxes to do trimming; pole pruning; etc......for the Xmas tree farm work.

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #75  
Champy,

I was looking at the Stilhl also but liked the Combi system better than switching gear boxs on the regular models. My dealer said the attatchment prices were about the same.

Don't trust the Combi ?

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #76  
450EXC - I didn't really look at the Combi's.......right now 100% of my work will be brush/weed clearing and thats how I went. In the future (3+ yrs from now) I will need to begin trimming xmas trees and most likely will buy a gas powered trimmer just for that use....or not.

If you buy a combi, please let us know how it works for you...

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #77  
Hey Champy, I just got the Poulan Pro Tree saw which is a Combi for Fathers day. It is still in the box but they are about $180 new with the pole saw on it.

I think we will also pick up the articulated foot from Troy bilt that is a hedge trimmer, I believe many of the combi's interchange. The articulated foot hedge trimmer is about $100 at Lowes.

I just could not swallow the $500 + price of the good pole saws for the amount we will use it.

I think the articulated foot though will be a good complement to get up to those 7 and 8' bushes we sometimes need to trim that our normal hedge trimmer will not get too.

Will let you know how it works.