Walk Behind String Trimmer

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #11  
Ifixcars said:
Has anybody seen or used the Husqvarna floating trimmer? I saw one in their catalog, and was wondering about it. It floats like a hydrofoil, no wheels.

It looks like they bought out Flymo. I have an older one.
These guys, Eastman Industries :: HoverMower :: Eastman Commerical, have one as well.

Works best on maintained areas. Golf courses use them around pond edges.

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #12  
I have a Troybuilt with sicklebar mower on it. Self propelled. Pretty nice but very noisy. I see you have already made your purchase, so good luck. Show some pics before and after, let us know how it worked.

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #13  
Here's a pic of my Troybuilt. It doesn't get used much, as you can tell from all the dust.

Attachments

• Garden pics 011.jpg
    Garden pics 011.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 1,034
  • Garden pics 012.jpg
    Garden pics 012.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 493
  • Garden pics 013.jpg
    Garden pics 013.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 391
   / Walk Behind String Trimmer #14  
When we lived down in the west end of Navarro County, one of my wife's brothers and his wife lived about 4 miles from us, and he had one of those Troybuilt machines just like that.

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #15  
For the string models - how many hours do you guys get before replacing strings?

The reason I needed a string mower before I bought a brushog-type tractor implement was to locate debris without breaking anything.

Dad used to fight gophers by putting a cinderblock down every gopher hole, plus he stored pipe etc along the fencelines. I averaged maybe 20 minutes between string replacements while I was hitting that stuff. Now with the obstacles located and in ordinary service, I may run an hour but the average is still probably less.

For you guys with the expensive models - does the string last longer than this?

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer
Ok. The DR string trimmer self propelled model finally arrived yesterday. Read the manual, filled gas and oil, remove and reinstall lines for practice. Today I put it thru its paces on an overgrown weeded area with Canadian Thistles that were waist high. I used the smallest gauge string and it did a great job. Rolls easily with out drive wheels engaged, so pulling it back up incline was no big deal. So far so good. It gets a big test in 1 1/2 weeks when it gets introduced to the pond borders.

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #17  
how many hours do you guys get before replacing strings?

In my case, I found that it varied considerably with what I was doing; going too fast into big woody material would tear strings out in minutes, while in ordinary grass and weeds, the same string might go a couple of hours or more.

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer
This trimmer works great fellas. Was able to trim under all my trees, LP tank and next to pond.The growth of these areas were waste high. I replaced the light line that it came installed with to the heaviest line. Used it about 2 hours total and never changed the lines. Whacked some 1/4 in tree sprouts down to nothing in short order. Only drawback is that the self-propelled model doesn't have ability to offset the trimmer head, which would be a help next to the house and get me a bit closer to pond edges.

I have 5 months to decide whether to keep it. I did see the swisher model at Farm & Fleet for under $400 with the offset capability but did not look as sturdy as the DR. It was powered by 6HP BS vs. the DR 6.75H BS.

Marty

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #20  
Mess for IllMarty1.

How do you like your new DR ?

I've been contemplating getting one also.

The DR folks have been real helpful . I'm concerned about the self propelled trimmer speed.

Is it too slow ??? Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks !!!