Walk Behind String Trimmer

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #1  

IllMarty1

Silver Member
The sloped edges around my 1.5 acre pond can get a little soft, especially in spring. I am thinking of getting a walk behind string trimmer to mow a couple passes next to the shoreline so as to not roll my MF 65 with brush hog into the pond on top of myself.:eek:

Anyone have any experience with any makes or models? DR looks nice but is more $. Northern has one that is less spendy. Any pros vs. cons?

Other option is a front mount finish mower for one of my atvs.

What say you?

Marty

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #2  
For getting into tight spots in the garden I use one like this from Sears. It does the job well, but I wore it out in the two years I used it as my primary mower - maybe 40 hours total. The motor is fine but the front spindle bearing had to be replaced, and the 'clutch' (belt tensioner) is very flaky. Maybe a pro grade equivalent of this would be a good choice. It's light enough to drag up and down slopes easily.

hmgdLawn_and_GardenPower_ToolsMowersMTD_Yard_Man_5_hp_String_Trimmer_Mower_25A_253N4011-resized200.jpg

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #3  
I agree, Marty, that the DR is expensive. But when I was down in the country, I bought their biggest, most powerful model with electric start and never regretted it. It saw some heavy duty use and did a fine job. I sold it to a friend when we moved back to town.

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #4  
You might want to try looking into both Swisher Max String Trimmer, from Swisher Mower or the Dr Power Trimmer - they're among the best. Husqvarna also makes a reasonable model. I posted a lengthy post, earlier this month, that depicts which manufacturer owns and manufacturers which brands. I believe the Sears model is made by a company called WHL. :eek: You'll find it under some of the earlier posting for String Trimmers on this Forum.

TractorByNet.com > Related Equipment > Lawn & Garden
String Trimmers

You might also try :eek:

String Trimmers Reviews: Product Reviews Comparison Reports

DR® Power Equipment - DR® Trimmer Mower - Versatile, powerful, easy to use grass trimmers

Swisher Mower & Machine Co.: Products: Trimmers

Best Regards, :)

Chuck Herron

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #5  
I had a Troy built one I purchased from Lowes several years ago, I burned the spindle bearing up within a year..100.00 for a replacement head assy.
You need to be dressed in full face gear and any othe rprotective cloting, it will throw things far and fast.
I gave mine to a friend that needed it more than me.

The Swisher units look to be built better than the Troy Built I had.

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #6  
Other than the issues already stated, think about the effect constant work on a sloped area will have on a splash lubed engine. I don't know if any of the higher-end units have a pressure lube engine, but you might look.
I have an older hover mower with a 2 stroke JLO engine. It uses heavy line, rather than a blade and is made for such trimming. There is at least one company still making them but, they're a bit pricey.

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #7  
I just sold an old DR model (photo below) for $250. It ran and worked great but without powered wheels to help push it, I found it difficult to use on uneven terrain. The large wheels constantly get stuck in ruts and holes in the ground. If my terrain was flat and even...actually, flat doesn't matter so much as having even terrain without all sorts of "potholes"...then I would have kept it. The DR was well constructed and would recommend that brand as I've used other DR equipment before and found them to be very good. Get powered drive/wheels if you think you will need it!

Attachments

• IMG_4911 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4911 (Large).JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 2,521
   / Walk Behind String Trimmer #8  
I have a Craftsman model and it works just fine but I don't use it much. It doesn't have power drive wheels so if you use a lot it becomes a bit of a chore. Also, if you are going to be trimming along fence lines with it, get one where you can offset the trimming head to one side or the other. You'll find that to be a major advantage.

Northern Tool has one that you can tow behind an ATV where the head is offset and is on some kind of tensioning system where it can work around fence posts.

I've generally found Dr. equipment to be well made but they do tend to be pricey. Their service department used to be very knowledgable and helpful.

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer
Ok, I splurged. Ordered the DR Self propelled with extra string. Hopefully their 6 month return if not satisfied is as good as they advertise. I'll report my findings when I get to use it.

Thanaks for all your input!

Marty

/ Walk Behind String Trimmer #10  
Has anybody seen or used the Husqvarna floating trimmer? I saw one in their catalog, and was wondering about it. It floats like a hydrofoil, no wheels.