echo or sthil trimmer

/ echo or sthil trimmer #1  

dirt clod

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3300, m5700, case 580se
Need a trimmer for both trimming and brush. Echo does not give the hp of there models only the size of engines which is smaller than sthil. Is the power of echo as good in a like model.
Looks like echo has a better waranty.
Looking at the echo srm-261t, Is this a good model.
I see that both companies are offering powerheads that you can swap out differant tools are these just gimicks?

/ echo or sthil trimmer #2  
For what it's worth, I have a Deere XT140SB split boom trimmer, and I'm happy with it. I have a boom head with a string cutter shield using the rotary cutter blades, I have another boom head with a 4-point brush cutter blade, I have the blower, and a cultivator/tiller.

I find it easy to change implement booms and not having to have extra power-heads is a plus for me. The blower could use a bit more oomph; but it's more than adequate for my needs. The biggest surprise is the cultivator/tiller head as it does better than I thought it would. This is the new design with the heavier teeth and gearbox. Obviously you're not going till a field with this little gizmo; but I find it useful in tight spaces and for loosening the "Claycrete" as I call our bentonite laden dirt.

Echo has a rotary broom attachment for their split boom trimmer. It would be great if that would fit on my Deere.

Sorry I don't know anything about the Stihl; but for me it was going to be an Echo or a Deere.

By the way, the Deere trimmer replaced a Ryobi split boom trimmer I bought at Home Despot (You can do it, we can hinder!). The Deere starts every time with no fuss; while the Ryobi was a pain to start, a pain to use, and a pleasure to throw away.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #3  
Dirt clod:

For just brush cutting and string trimming I have had no complaints with my Stihl FS 130 brush cutter/string trimmer. I do not believe that it has a removable head for additional attachments. I have the bicycle handle, full harness, a circular chisel tooth saw blade, and an auto-cut mowing head.

Mjncad: I can appreciate your comments on HD.

Jay

/ echo or sthil trimmer #4  
Bought an Echo pole saw and hedge trimmer attachment in 2003
PAS 2400 SBPP-SRM
The saw and hedge trimmer both work great for me.
Just takes a little effort to change from one to the other.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #5  
If you get a chance check out Hasqvarna model 326L...plenty of power for cutting brush etc.

/ echo or sthil trimmer
Thanks guys. I wonder why echo does not give there hp ratings. All they give is cc's and some stupid name like "tornado power" that don't impress me. If they had as much or power I would think they would give this info.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #7  
My dealer sells both Echo and Sthil. I have two Sthil chainsaws and consider them to be about as good as you can get. I was planning on buying the Sthil, but was open to the Echo when I went there and talked to the dealer. He said the Echo was a much better trimmer when comparing the same sized models. The Echo was half a pound heavier with a longer warrentee. Both were about the same price too.

The only significant difference that made me chose the Echo was the larger gear head. It was about twice the size of the Sthil model.

After you buy it, try the square trimmer string. I bought a small roll of it from Lowes to give it a try. It's allot more expensive then the regular string, but hte results are more then worth it. It cuts so much better, lasts allot longer and works the same as the round stuff with loading and operating.

I have had trimmers with the multiple attachements and have them sitting around. I wanted a dedicated string trimmer this time that was high quality and reliable. I thought I'd have to get my old, heavy ones out to cut sapplings as such, but that square string really does a number on them. It won't cut them down, but it strips them clean and just leaves a stick standing there. I just come back later with my treen pruner and cut them down at the ground. It sounds like more work, but it's really not. In fact, it's become very fast and easy to trim my fence line, poles and other things in the ground.

Eddie

/ echo or sthil trimmer #8  
jbrumberg said:
Dirt clod:

For just brush cutting and string trimming I have had no complaints with my Stihl FS 130 brush cutter/string trimmer.

Hey, how do you like your 130? That's the 4 stroke model, isn't it? I think it is the newer (considerably) version of the old FS106 I have. I bought my FS106 at an auction from our country garage for $50. They'd used it until it didn't run anymore and I took a chance on it. As it turned out, it only had a plugged spark arrestor screen in the exhaust! I've now used it for almost 10 years; and about the first 3 years was when I did it commercially. It's an absolute beast and still has tons of power without ever having been rebuilt. I also have an FS86 that I keep a brush cutter on and it has been used just as hard. I only wish they were like the new ones that have different attachments you can add to them. That looks to be a great idea.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #9  
EddieWalker said:
My dealer sells both Echo and Sthil. I have two Sthil chainsaws and consider them to be about as good as you can get. I was planning on buying the Sthil, but was open to the Echo when I went there and talked to the dealer. He said the Echo was a much better trimmer when comparing the same sized models. The Echo was half a pound heavier with a longer warrentee. Both were about the same price too.

Eddie

My dealer here also sells Stihl and Echo. He told me "Chainsaws - Stihl, Leaf Blowers and String trimmers - Echo". I took his advise on both accounts and have not been sorry.

/ echo or sthil trimmer #10  
Sthils are fine as long ae they don't crap out on the fuel supply system. It's one integrated component which leaves a fix-it shop incapable of replacing and an individual unable to get the part. Thus the Sthil shop (understaffed and overloaded) may keep it a long time.

I trashed a good Sthil because of this.

Went to RedMax... A fine machine. Cuts exceptionally well, even after having a Sthil on hand for years.
RedMax Product Catalog - Product Listing Line Trimmers