Ryan gas string trimmer

/ Ryan gas string trimmer #1  

JazzDad

Gold Member
Tractor
Main: Case 235
I've got an old Ryan brand 2-cycle gas string trimmer. The head fell off. It looks like a C clip may have held it on. I can't find the manual. Anyone know of an exploded diagram for this beast? I think Echo made it, (or whoever actually makes Echo brand). Thanks. Bret

/ Ryan gas string trimmer #2  
Bret, you may be right, but I don't think Echo made it. Of course, it might depend on when it was made. You might try these folks and see if they have what you need. My first gas string trimmer was a Ryan, and that was well over 20 years ago. The reason I bought it was (1) it was cheap, and (2) it was made by, or under license to, OMC (Outboard Marine Corporation) which also made my 2 cycle Lawnboy mower back then.

/ Ryan gas string trimmer
Thanks, Capt. Bird. They seem to carry some of the 'wear' parts. I'm hoping to find a breakdown so I can determine what part I might be missing. The head fell out, allowing the long, flexible drive shaft to fall out. There must be some C-clip or retaining ring that keeps that head on. And yes, this is an old machine. It must be close to 30 years old. (I just hate to send anything to the landfill, especially when I have to pay for that privilege, too.)

/ Ryan gas string trimmer #4  
Before you invest any time/money in to it, check the head where the flexible drive goes in to it. This area on Ryans often wears out when the head becomes loose and in your case eventually falls out. If the drive area is rounded off any, I'd just say goodbye to the trimmer.

-Fordlords-