Gasoline leaf blower

/ Gasoline leaf blower #21  
scuvnut said:
It does not necessarily have to do with whether he has a commercial business - one can have a significant piece of property or simply want to own a commercial piece, that is likely to last alot longer and help reduce the time to peform a task.

Sorry, but I don't agree on your apples here. Additionally, I simply did not see where you made the commercial versus homeowner point, but I guess it was implied.

I own a fairly sizeable piece of property and that weedeater would not last a season with me, and, it simply could not handle the tasks I need it to. That is why I went with a backpack model, particularly, an Echo. When I went to purchase it, I was told it could knock a squirrel out of a tree. I actually had the opportunity to test it and it performed as advertised. I actually felt bad afterwards, but just needed to see.

I'll stick with my oranges.

Professor mentioned a hand held, I suggested a hand held. If that that ain't apples to apples then....well nevermind. :D :D

If you re read my second post, I mention it didn't sound like he had a commercial business. Implied since I typed commercial business.

My main point was a $500 leaf blower for an homeowner!! But some here have a $15000 tractor to mow 1-acre, so what do I know!! :D :D :D If ya got it, spend it. Heck I would. Just wait until I win the lotto. I'll see your $500 leaf blower and raise you 2 more!! :D

Have a good one!

/ Gasoline leaf blower #22  
RobJ said:
Professor mentioned a hand held, I suggested a hand held. If that that ain't apples to apples then....well nevermind. :D :D

If you re read my second post, I mention it didn't sound like he had a commercial business. Implied since I typed commercial business.

My main point was a $500 leaf blower for an homeowner!! But some here have a $15000 tractor to mow 1-acre, so what do I know!! :D :D :D If ya got it, spend it. Heck I would. Just wait until I win the lotto. I'll see your $500 leaf blower and raise you 2 more!! :D

Have a good one!

I actually like to have two backback blowers - strap one on my back and one on my chest. Then I have a blower in each hand and can really do some damage - call me the 1K man!

/ Gasoline leaf blower #23  
scuvnut said:
I actually like to have two backback blowers - strap one on my back and one on my chest. Then I have a blower in each hand and can really do some damage - call me the 1K man!

You $1000 man you!!

/ Gasoline leaf blower #24  
professor said:
I don't do any commercial work but have a four acre lawn with several trees. The primary reason I can't use a back pack is I am an owner of a pacemaker and I need to keep small engines as far away from the pacemaker as possible.The pacemaker is the best electronic device I ever purchased.
Thanks for all the response to this post.

On the pacemaker. Have you actually checked with the manufacturer. My surgeon told me not to weld. After about a year, I call the pacemaker manufacurer and their representative told me it was OK with some rules (less than 400 amps, wear gloves, ground should be near weld, have the cables run away from you, when you stop welding wait ten seconds before restarting, stop welding if you feel dizzy). I think the surgeon was using old data. The manufacturer provided excellent service and even sent me a document on the rules for welding. Give them a call.

/ Gasoline leaf blower #25  
I have a Stihl BR600 backpack but they run around $500. They work as well or better then a push blower for me and are much more user friendly. If you want one that will last your lifetime get a Stihl.
I was pondering the purchase of a backpack blower today myself to clear the leafs littering my horse pasture bordering some pretty mature trees. (Big enough to host resident several Pileated woodpeckers) My only blower experiance is with a wimpy electric one I used to have but I figure even with some big power, I will be spending a lot of time keeping up with the problem.

I noticed that the BR550 is about a hundred dollars less than the BR600. You don't happen to know if that extra 100 dollars translates to that much more power and time savings?

Though I own four pieces of Stihl equipment already, I was also going to take a look at Husqvarna's offerings.

/ Gasoline leaf blower #26  
The BR550 is just a little less powerfull. See if your local Stihl dealer will let you demo both and then make your decision.

When I purchased mine the local tractoar dealer had Stihl on site and were offering a 10% off sale on Stihl products so the BR600 made the most sense. The BR600 list price is about $80 more than the BR550.

/ Gasoline leaf blower #27  
My dad has the Weed Eater/Wally World blower that cost $69 when it was new. I have a Stihl hand held model. I paid around $200 for mine new from my dealer. It is a night and day difference in not only power, but also in the build quality. You got to remember that these things are $69 for a reason...cheaper components. My dad has had nothing but problems with his blower and it is very underpowered. I had a homelite for several years that was OK, then I replaced it with a newer one and it was a piece of junk. I finally bit the bullet and bought a good quality blower.

I've had mine Stihl for 3+ years now. Still running like new, still as powerful as it was the day they sold it to me... Best blower I ever owned.

/ Gasoline leaf blower #28  
I don't do any commercial work but have a four acre lawn with several trees. The primary reason I can't use a back pack is I am an owner of a pacemaker and I need to keep small engines as far away from the pacemaker as possible.The pacemaker is the best electronic device I ever purchased.
Thanks for all the response to this post.

Professor, when I got my pacemaker the surgeon told me I could do anything but weld. I was talking to a guy about this and he said that's what they initially told him. He said "then I don't want one". They went and checked with the manufacturer and they said it's Ok if you follow certain rules. I call my pacemaker manufacturer and they said OK to welding if I follow their rules. Have you called the pacemaker manufacturer to see the exact restrictions for your unit.

/ Gasoline leaf blower #29  
The BR550 is just a little less powerfull. See if your local Stihl dealer will let you demo both and then make your decision.

When I purchased mine the local tractoar dealer had Stihl on site and were offering a 10% off sale on Stihl products so the BR600 made the most sense. The BR600 list price is about $80 more than the BR550.
Thanks for the info.

/ Gasoline leaf blower #30  
This probably doesn't apply to the Professor, because with a 4 acre lot, he is most likely in a rural area. But folks considering buying gas powered leaf blowers should check if their municipality has passed ordenances against them because of the noise they generate. Especially in California where they are outlawed in some locales due to "quality of life" issues. Seems some folks never want to hear power equipment running and drowning out the song birds chirping in their yard. It would really stink to drop hundreds of dollars on a piece of equipment that you can't use with out risking a fine.