Advice on a New String Trimmer

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #1  

EastTexFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L4740, B2400 and F2680
I'm in the market for a new string trimmer. I used to have 3 but I junked one at the beginning of this year. That leaves me with a 16 year old Echo and a 10 year old Stihl. To be honest, they spend more time at the shop being fixed than they do at my house working.

I'll do my own research too but I was wondering if anyone had useful advice on the market as it is today because as you can see, things have changed since I bought my last one. There are now 4-stroke models, split shaft models that come with interchangable accessories, huge honking models that could cut down full grown oaks, etc., etc.

My usual philosophy on buying tools is that if it is something that you only use once in a blue moon, get something cheap but if it's something that you are going to use a lot, get the best that you can. This is something that I will be using a lot so I'll be looking at the higher end of the price range and I'd like something that would be relatively trouble free, easy to use, easy to change line, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it.

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #2  
I have a Honda 4 stroke trimmer and it does pretty well for me. The oil is easy to change and in the two years I've had it all I have done is add fuel, change oil, and clean the air filter.

I was biking with my family and was riding past a house and saw a guy trimming and noticed the 4 stroke sound. He's had his Honda for about 5 years and has had no problems with his, and he used to run a lawn care service before he retired.

The only drawback is the weight. They aren't as light as a 2 stroke but are definitely manageable.

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #3  
If I were buying another one, I'd probably still go with the Stihl. Of course, my FS55RC is only 2 years old, but it started easily this morning, as usual. Of course, you may be using one enough to want one of the professional models instead of a homeowner's model like I have.

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #4  
I debated between Stihl and Echo when I bought mine last year. I had junk before and was finally done with dealing with the cheap stuff.

Ace Equipment on the loop in Tyler and 64, across for Atwoods is a dealer for both. I asked them which was better and why. I have two Stihl Chainsaws from them, so I was expecting them to say Stihl. They said that for the same money, the Echo is a better trimmer. Longer warantee, bigger gear head and more power.

Since you already have on of each, and you're not happy with either, I think you're going to have allot of trouble finding something better. Are both of yours straight shaft trimmers?

Eddie

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #5  
i don't really have a certain brand to recomend, but i would suggest you buy the straight shaft weed eater rather then what i call the curve shaft. these may not be the propper names, but whenever you go to buy, look at the "homeowners" vs. "commercial" and you will see this difference. there are a few that make a straight shaft for homewowners/light use. in my uses of weed eaters, i have found this one thing to be one of the most important factors and makes weed eating alot easier.

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #6  
Echo straight shaft is a good choice. Make sure that the model you choose can be converted to use a brush blade.
A brush blade is an eight inch circular saw blade that can be used to take down up to half inch wood stems and branches. Practically I can cut one and a half inch branches.

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #7  
I bought a John Deere line trimmer back in the late '70's. It had 4 spools of line on the head, the line had to be manually pulled off of each spool as it wore down. It was powered by a 2 stroke Tecumseh engine. Very heavy, had to use a harness to carry it.
Traded to an Echo line trimmer about 1980. Kept it for about 12 years. No problems. Traded it for an FS105 Stihl in '92, still currently using it. I don't think you can go wrong with either Echo or Stihl as long as you get their better models. I always try to get commercial grade equipment.

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #8  
I hate to sound like a broken record but whatever you get look for the 300 hour rating on the engine from the EPA. It is the highest rrating by the EPA. This attests to the quality of the components in the engine. I have an Deere XT140. It's made by mitsubishi. It's done everything I asked to do, till, weed wack, brush cut, ect. Echo made our old trimmers and I know they are pretty good also. I think what I like about mine the most is how easy it is to change the string on the bump head. I looked at a redmax also because it had a similar head design but cost more money for a similar machine.

I've got to learn how to click and paste. lol:D

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #9  
At the dealership where I work we sell the Shindiawa line. My old 1993 Homelite pro seriesl, which at its time was a top model with all the features on a commerical weedeater, finaly gave me enough grief to replace it. I bougut a nice one from work, list price was $189. I love it, much lighter than my old one, and quieter as well. I still have my old one if someone near Kokomo wants it for parts or to fix. Needs a new throttle cable and bushings in the shaft, it is a straight shaft with bush cutting ablities. Motor still runs good with plenty of compression. Cheers Mike

/ Advice on a New String Trimmer #10  
I'd personally grab a 2 cycle before you can no longer get them.

A buddy of mine wanted a new trimmer. We went to a local Stihl dealer and the salesman talked him in to a 4 mix (4 cycle). I was kind of glad he did, I wanted to see how they do.

Well, we went back to his house and I put the blade on for him. He went at it for a while. I had always heard they were more torquey. I took a turn and wasn't impressed, at all! I told him to come down to the house and take my FS80 and play with it. Right away, he saw the difference. His 4 mix was the "replacement" for my FS80. The 4 mix was heavier but not that much.

From all of my buddy's experience and some family members (I've worked at a Sthil dealer working on just saws and trimmers) I'd have to vote for Echo or Stihl. Good dealer support and proven track records.

What are those other two you own now doing? The one buddy I have flat out abuses stuff and he has had phenomenal luck with Echo. You might have the Stihl that only has one adjustment on the carb (no High or Low adjustment). If so, it's probably worth putting a carb on.