New trimmer opinions needed.

/ New trimmer opinions needed. #1  

WilliamBos

Tractor
MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle
I am looking to upgrade to a new trimmer for next spring. I want something that I can use attachments on, like a hedge trimmer and the like. Also want a 4 stroke, NO MORE MIXING.

Here is what I am looking at Husqvarna Outdoor Power Equipment - Trimmers - 324LDx

All opinions are welcome, as well as opinions on all other brands.

It will be replacing an Echo GT 200R. No complaints with it, just need something bigger, and a multi tool head is better.

Thanks,

Will

/ New trimmer opinions needed. #2  
I would think you would want a 2-stroke as it will be pretty powerful and lot lighter than a 4 cycle model.

Mixing fuel is easy, especially when you have tools like chain saws and leaf blowers that use it.

/ New trimmer opinions needed.
jinjimbob said:
I would think you would want a 2-stroke as it will be pretty powerful and lot lighter than a 4 cycle model.

Mixing fuel is easy, especially when you have tools like chain saws and leaf blowers that use it.

Actually, I know 2 people with 4 strokes, they have way more pop than any 2 stroke model. I have a 2 stroke now, need a change, and want something different. Plus, the 4 strokes run cleaner, and 2 strokes are oon their way out due to emissions.

Thanks,

Will

/ New trimmer opinions needed. #4  
I bought the Stihl Km130 combi unit this summer. After using it for a few months now I wouldn't be without it. I bought the commercial power head largest available, 24" hedger attachment, love it, string trimmer, extension and just today picked up the blower. This thing is awsome at 1.97 hp and easy start. The bad is you still need to mix gas and oil. A bit pricey as well but well worth it.

Brad

/ New trimmer opinions needed. #5  
I tried the four stroke Troybilt trimer with attachements a few years ago. It was a little heavier then the others that I've had, but I stuck with it. None of the attachments were all that great. The hedge trimmer was too far out to be effective, so I rarely used it, and bought an electric bush trimmer that worked allot better. The chainsaw attachement worked pretty good for pruning stuff up high, but my arms and shoulders would get tired and I found out that a small Stihl and a ladder worked allot better.

As for power, it has to work up to full throttle to cut. There is a lag time that it was just gutless until up to speed. With the 2 strokes, it was instant power and cutting. You'll have to adjust to this if you buy one.

After a few years, I got tired of lugging it around and dealing with it's weight.

I bought an Echo two years ago and love it. I'll never go back to anything that heavy again. More power, less weight!!!!!!

If you just have a small yard, it wont matter. I had half an acre when I bought the 4 stroke trimmer, but now I live on 60 acres and have over a thousand feet of fence, which is just my first fence, which is only half done.

Shop around and compare different models. Mixing oil aint so bad compared to a sore back.

Eddie

/ New trimmer opinions needed. #6  
I bought the Stihl Km130 combi unit this summer.

I just got the Stihl 110 combi unit and I second this opinion.

The 130 doesn't weigh that much more, and maybe I should have gotten it, but the 110 was actually one step up from the unit the dealer recommended to me.

The 110 has all the power I will ever need. I got the string trimmer, blade trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer and extension pole. Yes, it was pricey, but I doubt I will ever need to replace it.

One of the advantages I see to one motor and many attachments is that a lot of my small gas engines suffer from lack of use. With only one motor, I will exercise it more often than if I had separate motors on different units.

/ New trimmer opinions needed. #7  
Honda,echo,redmax & stihl.Visit this site www.lawnsite.com Good info based on commerical users.coobie

/ New trimmer opinions needed. #8  
I have a Shindaiwa and love it. I hear a lot of good things about Redmax and Echo also. From my research the pros don't seem to like the Husky and Stihl as much, they are not bad, they just don't seem to have quite the design of the others.

/ New trimmer opinions needed. #9  
I'll just throw this suggestion out there, as I don't believe I saw anyone else mention it, but Honda makes excellent 4-stroke trimmers. Plus, IIRC, they were among the first, if not the first, to build mini 4-strokes.

As for 2-stroke vs 4-stroke, I love my 2 stroke Shindaiwa because it is light and strong. Mix isn't inconvenient either, for me, because I have to keep it around for my saws. Plus, the more tools I use mix in, the faster I use it and the fresher it stays.

As for Echo and Redmax, I also own both: an Echo chainsaw and Redmax leaf blower. Both start easily, as does my Shindaiwa trimmer. However, if I'd bought the Redmax blower before the Shindaiwa trimmer, then I'd have a Redmax trimmer instead of Shindaiwa. The Redmax starts 1st pull 90% of the time (prime 8x, choke, pull) and 2nd pull the rest of the time. The Shindaiwa starts 2nd pull most of the time and 3rd pull the rest of the time--still not bad, but not quite the pleasure of a 1 pull start.

/ New trimmer opinions needed. #10  
I love my Shindaiwa, cost a bit more but it's been worth it. I have an older M230 setup. I have the weed trimmer, pole saw and articulating hedge trimmer. I don't have any hedges anymore so it doesn't get used much but the trimmer and polesaw are 2 of my favorite tools in the barn.

Shindaiwa | Products | Multi-Tool Systems