Shindawia vs. Echo - help me decide

/ Shindawia vs. Echo - help me decide #1  

ikymojoe

Tractor
John Deere 790
I have been shopping for a new string trimmer. I have narrowed it between a Shindaiwa or Echo trimmer. I have five acres to maintain. Part is horse pasture, the other is home.

I look at a Shindaiwa (Dealer called it a 375 but I believe it is the T195s) Home Pro Series straight shaft for $199.99. It also had a "speed loader" head.

I also looked at an Echo GT-200R curve shaft trimmer. Also the SRM-210 model. The 200 model was 169.99 and the 210 model was $199.99.

I know both are good makes of trimmers. I am mainly wondering if a straight shaft would have a better advantage than a curved shaft. Both Echo models had the same engine size (21.2 cc), Shindaiwa had a 19.8 cc engine

I am also wondering if a Shindaiwa or Echo speed loader head would hold up well against "horse safe" fencing (smaller diameter). My Ryobi speed loader did not. All had the option of a tap head also. Again, the tap head is why I gave my Ryobi to my mother-in-law. I hope she will not hold it against me.

Sincerely,

Ikymojoe

Last edited:
   / Shindawia vs. Echo - help me decide #2  
I love my Shindawia. I have a 212T and its never missed a beat for me. I have not cut around horse fencing but I have not had one bit of trouble with the head. I have used the straight and curved shaft models and I prefer the straight shaft ones. In general the straight shaft tend to be built a little better.

/ Shindawia vs. Echo - help me decide #3  
I never looked at an Echo when I recently bought mine. I looked at Stihl, Shindaiwa and of course Craftsman. I picked up a Shindaiwa T242X and it's been a good one. The line can be loaded in under a minute without removing anything. It will convert to a brush cutter blade too.

/ Shindawia vs. Echo - help me decide #4  
Had my Shindaiwa for 3 years now and it is awesome! It never fails me. My folks have an echo but have only had it for about 3 months so no real experience with them. All the folks I know who have a Shindaiwa feel they are the best.

Maka

/ Shindawia vs. Echo - help me decide #5  
I had pretty good luck with Shindaiwa chain saw. It is built solid. It is a tad bit heavier as most part of it is cast or machined aluminum. I give Shindaiwa two thumb up.

jc,

/ Shindawia vs. Echo - help me decide #6  
I own both products,but in leaf blowers.They are quality made products so I believe they would both serve you well.I was told that echo bought out Shindawia but I cannot confrim this.Good luck,coobie

/ Shindawia vs. Echo - help me decide
The dealer clearly had a biases for the Echo products because he had used them. Shindaiwa seems to be legendary for reliability.

The dealer did tell me that Shindaiwa and Echo were "silent partners". Which may confirm that Echo bought Shindaiwa?

Anyone else hear news of this merger?

/ Shindawia vs. Echo - help me decide #8  
Cost is a little more . But, I like the ones that have solid steel shaft instead of the flex cable.

/ Shindawia vs. Echo - help me decide #10  
I can easily say go with the Shindaiwa. I spent two years working with one for a job. I ran the same brushsaw 8-10 hours a day, month after month. Aside from replacement blades(2) and clutch springs(+12) it never stopped. The clutch spring issue was actually do to how I used the saw, not becuase of a flaw. I was cutting a lot of mixed stuff from grass to small trees, so I used an oversized tri-blade. Basically it was too heavy for the saw. Meant I put excessive strain on the clutch springs and would break them when hitting big stuff.

The engines themselves are very easy to work on as well. Solid steel shaft is definitely a must if you are going to be doing any major work. I was cutting everything right up to 6" diameter trees with mine.

I still have it actually, but haven't used it for a couple of years. Just bought a smaller Echo this summer for easy brush control on the new property. I think I'm going to leave the other one on the other property in the mountains. It has bigger stuff to cut.

Both are going to serve you well, but my preference is for the Shindaiwa. Good luck and have fun cutting those weeds.:)