Thoughts on new echo trimmers

/ Thoughts on new echo trimmers #1  

DeNiro

Tractor
Kioti KL3054 / Iseki TL2100
After reading many posts here praising the quality of Echo string trimmers I decided to buy a new one and now I am reading that the new models have to meet new EPA requirements and may not be as good as the older ones(last year models). I have read elsewhere that they don't have the power or run as clean as the older unts.
Some of the older models are still available and I can get a fairly good deal on a few. This place is pretty full of knoledgable folks and I wonder what the thoughs and feelings of some of you guys might be??

/ Thoughts on new echo trimmers #2  
If you feel it is underpowered go to Lawnsite.com or arboristsite.com and look up "muffler mods" and you can find ways to get a little bit more power out of it. My dad had an old Echo that seemed well powered, he just got a new Echo this year and I have only run it once. I didn't like it but it seemed to have the same power as his old one, reason I didn't like it is because my Stihl FS 96 is more powerful, has bike grip handles to it and was only 50' away. So needless to say I went and picked mine up and put his back in the truck. I guess doing this stuff commercially I may have got spoiled on my Stihl and didn't want to go back to the standard grips. But all in all it seemed to have plenty of power.

/ Thoughts on new echo trimmers #3  
After reading many posts here praising the quality of Echo string trimmers I decided to buy a new one and now I am reading that the new models have to meet new EPA requirements and may not be as good as the older ones(last year models). I have read elsewhere that they don't have the power or run as clean as the older unts.
Some of the older models are still available and I can get a fairly good deal on a few. This place is pretty full of knoledgable folks and I wonder what the thoughs and feelings of some of you guys might be??

I did commercial mowing for a few years and have owned a couple of Echo string trimmers. Echo makes good trimmers. Stihl trimmers are much better for me. The FS80 is the best they make.

/ Thoughts on new echo trimmers #4  
I own a Echo and think it's a good trimmer, but, Man Lube the Cable, Lube the Cable. I didn't know you had to do this and was losing power big time. I took the cable drive apart a grease everything up and it was like new again. bjr

/ Thoughts on new echo trimmers
I guess you guys did not get the idea behind my question. I an pretty sold on the Echo trimmers, but the question was wheather the new models that have to meet the EPA requirements would be as good as the old ones.
I found a good dealer and he satisfied most of my questions and I bought one yesterday. I used it about an hour and I have no doubts that I chose the right size unit. I use it a lot on a hill side and the light weight unit is a breeze, even when I am falling down the hill.
I was pleasantly surprised that the service was so good and the price was right. The unit was completely assembled and filled with gas and I got a short course in use and maintenaince. Get this, $10 cheaper than the big box store and they filed my 5 year warranty on line before I left.

/ Thoughts on new echo trimmers #6  
I guess you guys did not get the idea behind my question. I an pretty sold on the Echo trimmers, but the question was wheather the new models that have to meet the EPA requirements would be as good as the old ones.
I found a good dealer and he satisfied most of my questions and I bought one yesterday. I used it about an hour and I have no doubts that I chose the right size unit. I use it a lot on a hill side and the light weight unit is a breeze, even when I am falling down the hill.
I was pleasantly surprised that the service was so good and the price was right. The unit was completely assembled and filled with gas and I got a short course in use and maintenaince. Get this, $10 cheaper than the big box store and they filed my 5 year warranty on line before I left.
Make sure to use quality oil and 91 plus octane fuel and you should be fine.I own a newer echo chain saw and back pack blower and have had ZERO problems.coobie

/ Thoughts on new echo trimmers #7  
all they have is a catyletic converter (spelling?) in the muffler, and screws that limit how rich you can run the carb. So, you take a drill out the muffler, and let it breath, and then remove the limiter screws on the carb and adjust it propperly, and its a whole new animal. NOT EPA approved! ;)