Wheeled offset trimmer recomendations

/ Wheeled offset trimmer recomendations #1  

nomad289

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ferris IS4500 Diesel ZTR; JD G100; BCS 732 w/tiller/chipper
I'm looking for a wheeled trimmer to use along the fence lines and edges of pond and irrigation ditch. Mostly cutting grass, but some 1/2" saplings along ditch.

Reviewing prior posts, seems like having the "tilt and offset" feature would be valuable so that you can push the unit in a straight line while trimming off to the side somewhat. None of the self-propelled units have offset, so guess I'll be pushing.

Offset seems to narrow the selection to Echo (Bearcat), Arians/Gravely and DR.

Arian: Lowest price, solid brand, good value: http://www.ariens.com/products_lawn/l_chore_group/l_stringtrimmer_st622/Pages/default.aspx

Echo/Bearcat: Honda engine option, plastic "knife" blade head option (to avoid ever breaking string) and local dealer. Most expensive. http://bearcatproducts.com/main/products/choice_py?category=EZTRIM&model=WT160T%20%2874455%29&group=None&description=Wheeled%20Trimmers&size=None

DR: In business the longest, originator of design. Mid price. Mail order.

Any advice or testimonials?

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Wheeled offset trimmer recomendations #2  
Just got a Bearcat WT190S. Self propelled and it does offset. I've only used it for a about an hour so far, but it works great. I was warned not to use the plastic blades. They break on solid objects. [ fence posts etc.] I got a brush blade but haven't had a chance to try it out. Use the crossfire 0.155" line. I"ll keep you posted when I get more time to play.

/ Wheeled offset trimmer recomendations
Thanks for the feedback on the BearCat and .155 line vs. blades--good point--blades would likely break on a post.

I looked at a Bearcat today and it looks like a well balanced and constructed machine.

Self-propelled would be preferable; however the "tilt" feature could be useful also, since one could trim down to ground level on one side, while not scalping the grass across the whole swath width. Tilt might also be nice around pond and ditch edges.

The rotating head did not "offset" to the side as advertised on other brands, so not sure how easy it is to push in a straight line parallel to a fence or building while trimming against the building. Looks like the string width was maybe one inch wider than the rear wheels.

/ Wheeled offset trimmer recomendations #4  
A couple of other points. I bought the Briggs version because it was $100. plus cheaper and 1 hp more. Yes Honda engine is probably a better unit in a commercial application, but I figure the Briggs will last with normal maintenance. Head rotates clockwise, so trim along fences etc with the left side against the fence. Then it throws the grass away. With the offset and the cutting width, it gives about 4" plus clearance on the left.

/ Wheeled offset trimmer recomendations
Thanks, 4" clearance on the side should be plenty. I have a Briggs on my rotary mower and it starts second pull every spring; so the reliability seems fine and as a homeowner it won't get that much wear. Dealer has 3 of the model you bought in stock--seems like the best bet and is $400 less than the tilt honda.

I might pick on up this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

/ Wheeled offset trimmer recomendations #6  
A long time ago, I had the biggest DR; not self-propelled, but was electric start Briggs and I used it just as you said, under fences around my place. I really liked that machine. Just from seeing some of the new ones, I'm not sure I'd like them. They just don't look to me as if they'd be as easy and efficient to use, but if I ever used one, I might change my mind.