MTD/Troybilt/Husquevarna/Lehr/Sears trimmers that take attachments

/ MTD/Troybilt/Husquevarna/Lehr/Sears trimmers that take attachments #1  

jas67

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610 + Kubota G1800-S
I recently purchased a Lehr ST025DS propane-powered 4 stroke trimmer. Nice machine -- nice to not have to choke on 2-cycle exhaust while running it.

Amazon.com: LEHR ST025DS 25cc Propane Powered 4-Stroke Detachable Straight-Shaft Eco Trimmer: Patio, Lawn & Garden

This is the model with the detachable shaft, which can take attachments. To the best of what I can determine, this attachment point is the same as the various MTD-made units (Troybilt, Poulan, Sears), Husquevarna, and likely others. Now, my question is, what about rotation direction. I was surprised the first time I started this thing, that it rotates counter-clockwise, as viewed from running it. My Echo goes clockwise. I looked at a Husquevarna at Tractor Supply last night that appears to use the same attachments, and it turns clockwise.

Now, rotational direction might not matter for a trimmer head, or even a brush blade (which can be flipped over), but matters a lot for the chain-type pole saw attachment (which I'd like to get).

Can I get some feedback here from anyone owning one of these, or a similar trimmer, and what attachments you've used -- especially, if you've mixed brands. Lehr doesn't make attachments, so I'll need to mix brands.

If you have a trimmer with this attachment type, what direction does your engine turn?

Thanks,
Jay

/ MTD/Troybilt/Husquevarna/Lehr/Sears trimmers that take attachments
OK, I'll answer my own question. I stopped into Home Depot and Sears at lunchtime. All their trimmers turn clockwise, INCLUDING the Sears propane one, which has a Lehr-made engine.

Now, I'm not a big fan of box store stuff, in fact my other trimmer is an (non box store model) Echo, as is my hedge trimmer. My chain saws are Stihl and Jonsered. But, I don't use a trimmer all that much, so box store stuff is probably good enough. I bought the Sears propane unit (for $149 -- $50 less than the Lehr was online), and will be returning the Lehr. "Luckily", I can return it even though I used it once, since the clamp that holds the lower shaft on broke (cheap chinese made crap).

CORRECTION: the Lehr engine does turn the correct way. I was confused by the fact that the gearbox on the straight-shaft string trimmer attachment reverses the direction (didn't know that). Anyway, the Lehr WILL take the standard attachments.

Anyone here use the pole-saw attachment? How is it?

Last edited:
   / MTD/Troybilt/Husquevarna/Lehr/Sears trimmers that take attachments #3  
I have to pole saw attachment. My first one was bought by itself, but my second one was bought as a combo (trimmer and saw). I bought the second one because my power head gave up the ghost. Anyway, I love the pole saw attachments. That first one had a short head and then a section of boom pole (I do not know what to call it) that you could use. So now I use the added boom along with my other pole saw attachment. I can easily reach 15' from the safety of the ground. The only thing you have to watch out for is pinching the blade as the limb starts to sag.
Dave