Stupid Trimmer Won't Fire

/ Stupid Trimmer Won't Fire #1  

arrabil

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4200 & X475
Howdy. So its a new plug and I've visually verified spark. Gapped properly and tried a bigger gap too. Has compression. Tried a new fuel mix although the old mix fires the chainsaw just fine. I've drained all the gas mix, pulled the plug, and let it sit for two days. The plug is wet after pulling the rope. Gas spews out the choke end of the carb. In fact everything gets covered in fuel the more I try to start it. Seems the engine is flooded but drying it out doesn't accomplish anything. I've run carb cleaner through everything hoping to un-gum it. Troy-Bilt TP20CS (the P and C must stand for Piece and Crap). I used it two weeks ago no problem. It sat for a week and a half and voila, paper weight. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do. Ideas? Thanks!

/ Stupid Trimmer Won't Fire #2  
be careful with any ethanol gas in trimmers. I have a stihl 029 saw running fine, put the same gas in my 110 stihl trimmer nothing. remix same results. carry it to the dealer, he tells me find some gas with no ethanol. runs like a charm. maybe it'll work for you.

/ Stupid Trimmer Won't Fire
Believe it or not I've done that. I didn't know thats what they were called but something around here builds a nest in any hole it find. It does take them longer than two weeks generally though.

/ Stupid Trimmer Won't Fire #5  
not cutting down your equipment but, buy high end equipment & you won't have any problems. I have 2 trimmers, 2 chain saws, 2 blowers & never have any problems with them starting year after year. even with ethanol gas

/ Stupid Trimmer Won't Fire
I don't disagree. Just purchased a Tanaka a couple hours ago actually.

Still, you'd expect an engine that worked two weeks ago to work two weeks later.

/ Stupid Trimmer Won't Fire #7  
not cutting down your equipment but, buy high end equipment & you won't have any problems. I have 2 trimmers, 2 chain saws, 2 blowers & never have any problems with them starting year after year. even with ethanol gas

whats wrong with Stihl?:ashamed:

/ Stupid Trimmer Won't Fire #9  
I don't disagree. Just purchased a Tanaka a couple hours ago actually.

Still, you'd expect an engine that worked two weeks ago to work two weeks later.
+1 Went through 2 Ryobi's from Lowe's in less than a year, bought a Stihl FS85 - it's working on 14 years old.

/ Stupid Trimmer Won't Fire #10  
There's really not too much to these small engines. You say you have fresh fuel, compression, and spark, but still no-go. Barring some rather unusual problem, there's not much else to look at besides the carb. You say that gas spews out the choke side of the carb when you try to start it. This is almost certainly a carb problem causing you trouble. If you care enough to mess with it, I would try rebuilding the carburetor.
-Jay