Help with my Ryobi

/ Help with my Ryobi #11  
I always stuff like this about Ryobi, but mine had started on pull #4 for ~10 years before finally quitting. After pressing the primer bulb 4 times, it coughed on the 3rd pull with wide open choke and fired on #4 with half choke. Like clockwork - even first use in the spring and I never cleaned anything or used Seafoam. I loved that little machine!

I thought the Husqvarna machines were compatible with TrimmerPlus? That's worth checking out. (My Husq backpack blower started a couple of weeks ago on one slow pull in the garage after sitting for ~7 months...)

/ Help with my Ryobi #12  
Ryobi's Expand-It attachment tools will fit a multitude of powerheads from other manufacturers, however, not the top quality manufacturers. The attachments WILL NOT fit the Echo PAS powerhead, or Stihl.

I just bought a Ryobi Expand-It Brush Cutter and the "Universal Brand" listing that it supposedly will work with is as follows: Ryobi (obviously), Homelite, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, John Deere, McCulloch, MTD Pro, Poulan, Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy-Built, Weed Eater, Yard Machine and Yard Man.

I was hoping it would fit my Echo PAS 265 but it wouldn't. Ryobi's shaft is ever so slightly larger and it would not go into the PAS powerhead. Perhaps if I had tried expanding the PAS receiver I might have been able to force it in but there would still be no telling as to whether the rod would have aligned. Besides, there was no way I was going to risk damaging the Echo unit. That powerhead alone was about $300.

So instead, while I was at the store I picked up a Ryobi powerhead as well. Got it home and did a quick field test. So far so good. I typically prefer quality (hence my Echo) but these Ryobi attachments are literally a third of the cost of Echo attachments. So I figured I'd give it a try.

/ Help with my Ryobi #13  
I thought about drilling a hole in my Ryobi's carb cover to shoot carb cleaner in via the straw on the carb cleaner spray can, but then the trimmer sort of locked up and I haven't messed with it. Bought a used Echo and rebuilt the carb on the Echo instead.

/ Help with my Ryobi #14  
Dave T, the Expand-It attachments are for our TOY power-heads. The Echo PAS is a real machine.

/ Help with my Ryobi #15  
Eh, I'm in the process of making a Tanaka to Expand-It adapter. No reason to throw out perfectly good stuff. In fact, two of the attachments I own aren't even available elsewhere: the leaf vacuum and the reciprocating pruner (not available anymore period). And I use both of those things A LOT.

/ Help with my Ryobi #16  
Right arrabill. I didn't mean that I don't love my Ryobi and Expand-It attachments. They're great! I don't fool myself into thinking that they're heavy duty professional grade tools, but yeah - for my little jobs, you can't beat 'em.

I've worn out my Expand-It blade edger. But heck, for what little bit I paid for it, I'm thinking that it was a good value. No doubt I'll buy another one when I totally wear this one out. And, I use the pole saw all the time. Just got the hedge trimmer, and think that that'll be a handy tool as well.

/ Help with my Ryobi #17  
Grab the parts breakdown for the edger and take it apart. I've rebuilt the reciprocating pruner and the hedge trimmer after they wore down from abuse. They're VERY simple designs. In particular there is a little square plastic piece on a number of the attachments that gets eaten up if the tool gets stuck but the motor keeps spinning. You'll know thats the broken piece if the shaft no longer turns the edger (or only turns it slightly when not under pressure).

/ Help with my Ryobi #18  
I got to ask---
I have a Ryobi, and it is now difficult to start.... I use the same mix for my husquavarna saw as my Ryobi....

Should it be different???

I'd post the mix, but I am so tired right now, it just is not coming to mind.....

J

/ Help with my Ryobi #19  
I got to ask---
I have a Ryobi, and it is now difficult to start.... I use the same mix for my husquavarna saw as my Ryobi....

Should it be different???

I'd post the mix, but I am so tired right now, it just is not coming to mind.....

J

My Ryobi has 50:1 label embossed on the gas cap. I tried my chainsaw gas (25:1) and the Ryobi bogged down. Switched to the right mix ratio and seems to work well.

/ Help with my Ryobi #20  
russlw3 said:
My Ryobi has 50:1 label embossed on the gas cap. I tried my chainsaw gas (25:1) and the Ryobi bogged down. Switched to the right mix ratio and seems to work well.

Hmm I have since replaced it with a cub cadet.. But the old ryobi is still sitting in the basement... Time to go look...