what do you do for wooden handle tools

/ what do you do for wooden handle tools #1  

schiker

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 1972 LCG, JD 5603
I have a couple old shovels that the wood is drying out and splitting at the wood grain. Then it makes nasty splinters.

I have sanded the handles down and would like to protect them and for new to make them last longer. I thought about painting them but then wonder if a stain would be better. I don't it to stain my hands and wonder if teak oil would be a good product to use?

What do you do?

/ what do you do for wooden handle tools #2  
Built up applications of urethane may smooth them out...

on a wilder note...you can get large diameter PVC heat shrink tubing...lots of metal broom handles etc. use this

/ what do you do for wooden handle tools
I did wrap my wheelborrow handles with electrical tape.

They are smooth enough now after standing them some mainly would like to protect them.

I sometimes leave them out in the sun which is the worst thing you can do for wood so I am thinking a Teak oil or stain that penetrates might be good.

I have seen some big shrink wrap but its expensive. I actually found a grip tape for a rake but I don't know doesn't appear it will stand up to heavy shovel work.

/ what do you do for wooden handle tools #4  
Sand um smooth and wipe with boiled linseed oil, wipe off any excess .

/ what do you do for wooden handle tools #5  
Find a way to do it with the tractor!:laughing::laughing:

/ what do you do for wooden handle tools #6  
Linseed oil works great. I will not peel like a urethane or varnish if left out in the weather.

/ what do you do for wooden handle tools #7  
Just make sure to put any linseed oil soaked rags in a metal can filled with water when you are done, not worth burning down the shop !

/ what do you do for wooden handle tools #9  
x2:thumbsup:

+3

I have had very good luck using walnut oil, which helps keep the wood from absorbing bulk water, but still lets it breathe, which helps stability of thick sections under changing humidity. Besides, it just seems appropriate to use an oil derived from a hardwood to preserve a handle made from hardwood. No school like old school.

Last edited:
   / what do you do for wooden handle tools #10  
I think any kind of boiled linseed oil or similar product is going to get the job done. I'd avoid electrical tape because of the sticky residue that you get stuck with in the hot sun. :D