Sthil FS 90

/ Sthil FS 90 #1  

Rio_Grande

Platinum Member
I am looking to buy a brush cutter weed eater. My local Sthil Dealer has the FS 90 in stock. It is rated to run the brushcutter blade. I know the old FS 85 had a good reputation, but I dont know anything about the fs90

I intend to use it in conjunction with my chain saw to cut the trails through my property for the quad runner. For 3 in and larger I have the chain saw.

The largest I expect to cut is 2in trees and brush like shrubs and briars, rose bushes and low brush. I will follow up later with the skid steer and grapple bucket to get the roots but I want to do an inital clearing so I can access parts of the property with the quad.

So based on those needs what do you think about the FS 90?

/ Sthil FS 90 #2  
For that cutting of brush/stems, I'd go to the model with the bicycle handles (may have them for the FS90) and use the chisel tooth blade (sharpen with round chainsaw file). Also, would get the shoulder harness as it is much, much easier on the back.

My stihl brush cutter has worked great for many years.

Last edited:
   / Sthil FS 90 #3  
I ran a blade on my FS 85, and it did a good job. I bought a FS 250 last summer to clear the perimeter of some property I have, and that is a beast with the blade! I use the blade that has teeth you sharpen with a chainsaw file.

I'll agree about the bike handles-the 250 has them and it is much easier to control with the blade.

Will

/ Sthil FS 90 #4  
We have the FS 130 with bike handles. The 4-mix engine is pretty impressive, much quieter than a two-stroke, goes almost twice as long on the same amount of fuel, and has excellent torque. Very different exhaust sound.

If the dealer will let you demo both machines, I'd bet you'll like the FS 130.

It still uses mixed fuel, so no oil sump to run dry like the Honda trimmers.

Sean

/ Sthil FS 90
Thanks for all the replies,
Will if you had the 85, we are talking same or close power,,, Would u say that that setup with the chisle tooth blad will easily cut repeditive,,, (hours of cutting) 2 inch tree starts, most ceadar but many hardwood starts? Do you think it would hold up?

Chilly same question for you on the fs 130,

They are balking on the demo because they dont already have them for demos. I thought about renting one but the smallest offered at the rental place was the 250 and I just cant lay out that kind of cash.

I am having a hard time concidering the 130 at 430.00

/ Sthil FS 90 #6  
I have both the 85 and 90. The 90 outperforms my 85, in fuel economy and power. You will have the power needed as for 2" saplings, you may want the saw blade, not saying the rough brush blade won't do it the saw blade is made for it and is quicker. I have used mine for everything, it will bog a little in heavy tall grass, like hay field length. Just remember, run it wide open and you will never have a problem, engine wise. My 85 is ready for a carb now, the brass nipples are starting to loosen from vibration, and sucking air. I own Stihl saws also. Will never buy anything else. :thumbsup: Good luck. Hope this helps.

The 90 also has the 4-mix engine.

/ Sthil FS 90 #7  
I can't speak for the newer series units, but I've run the FS85 with a blade (pruning trees) for 4 hours at a time. It is'nt as fast as some of the larger units, but never a problem. Just keep the blade sharp - just like a chainsaw, keep it out of the dirt for fewer touch-ups.

/ Sthil FS 90 #8  
Just curious but I do a tremendous amount of trail creating and maintaining. I use the Sthil Kombi with a chainsaw attachment with the little 12" blade. My Kombi motor is the FS 110 (I think) which is the next to the biggest size they make. I cut anything from 1" limbs to 6" trees, and rarely need my big saw. It is lightweight and works great, and a pleasure to use. I have about 6 miles of trails to keep open and this is my primary tool.

That being said, I have never used a brush cutting blade on a trimmer, but I can't see how it could compete with my saw, except maybe for briars or thick weeds. For places like that, I have the articulating hedgetrimmer type attachment for my Kombi, but I dont use that much, as I can get most of the ground level briars and tall grasses with my bushhog after I clear the limbs overhanging with my saw.

/ Sthil FS 90 #9  
I bought the FS-90 last yr with the handlebar and it's a heck of a machine,I recently bought the carbide tiped blade to cut brush with.can't speak about the other blade...russ

/ Sthil FS 90 #10  
Just keep the blade sharp - just like a chainsaw, keep it out of the dirt for fewer touch-ups.

I agree about the blade being sharp, nothing short of a dedicated spacing saw has the grunt to handle a dull blade. I have two of the chainsaw type blades, I usually change out halfway through the day, whether it's dull or not. They sharpen easily, and cut like **** on wheels afterwards.

The 3 blade brush knife works really well on the 130, I use it on everything from heavy dry grass to mature goldenrod, briars, rose bushes (!) etc. The .095 cord is ok, but mature dry goldenrod snaps it quickly.

As for holding up, we've had exactly zero problems in the 4 years we've had the 130, same spark plug even. It's cleared several miles of fence line repeatedly, cut alders up to 3 inch, even mowed my acre plus of lawn for a year until we got some landscaping done. Landscaping isn't the right word, but it's better than it was anyway.

Whatever you get, get the bike handles and full shoulder harness, I can't imagine a full day without them.

The four stroke engine has excellent torque, very different from any 2 stroke I've ever run. You can cut at a lower speed if you want to, it doesn't have to be WFO to work well. I guess the difference is like running a 4 stroke thumper off-road compared to a two-stroke screamer. Same power, just more usable power in my opinion, anyway.

Am I biased? He** yes, the 130 has really impressed me.

Our's was about $600 taxes in four years ago, maybe longer than that.

Sean