Rant! Stihl wont start!

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #21  
For about $1.00/gallon more, you can still get ethanol free premium gas. I get a 5 gal jug of it for small engines.

Can you still buy ethanol-free gasin ID? You lucky guy. I don't think you
can buy it anywhere in CA. I shoulda picked some up in AUG when I was
in Boise.....

I just changed out my primer bulb in my Husky blower, and my Makita
chainsaw's has already gotten pretty dark....

/ Rant! Stihl wont start!
Dargo, you need to read a little better.
quote:(I'm guessing that earlier posts about that stinking ethanol in your gas has caused your problem)
I never said anything about stinking nuthin. I only use real gas in my stuff. And yes, I agree with you Husky makes some cheap crap today as does Sthil. When I think of Husky, I am thinking of the commercial quality stuff (note it will have 2 rings on the piston like the 240).
They make lots of stuff out there to buy and I hope you are happy in your buying decisions. I have been in mine with the exception of when I went to Stihl. Each to their own.

whin

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #23  
Dargo, you need to read a little better.
quote:(I'm guessing that earlier posts about that stinking ethanol in your gas has caused your problem)
I never said anything about stinking nuthin. I only use real gas in my stuff. And yes, I agree with you Husky makes some cheap crap today as does Sthil. When I think of Husky, I am thinking of the commercial quality stuff (note it will have 2 rings on the piston like the 240).
They make lots of stuff out there to buy and I hope you are happy in your buying decisions. I have been in mine with the exception of when I went to Stihl. Each to their own.

Unless you are paying considerably more per gallon for your gasoline, you are in fact using ethanol laced fuel. It's very, very rare to find ethanl free gas. Stations are NOT required to tell you what you are getting in most states. Rotting of the priming bulb is one of the first symptoms of ethanol use.

Sorry you are having problems with any equipment. However, what you describe is the classic beginning of engine death by ethanol contamination.

whin[/QUOTE]

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #24  
How do you think the corn was planted, harvested, dried, transported, processed etc. Ethanol is not a naturally occurring substance. It has to be made. The generally agreed upon figure is that it takes 1.3 gallons of fossil fuel (mostly diesel, not gasoline) to produce 1 gallon of lower energy per gallon and highly corrosive ethanol.

So using this same formula I can safely say it took 1.3 gallons of fossil fuel to produce the box of corn flakes I enjoy eating from in the morning. I can also apply the 1.3 gallon formula to other products manufactured from corn and readily see why they also have a high cost proportionally to a gallon of gasoline.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #25  
can we back up a second here? everyone is saying that ethanol destroys engines, but when they take it to the shop, they either replace or rebuild the carbs. Come on.. seriously?

I have a lowes troybilt weedwhacker and its been nothing but trouble with the carb. I have to take the carb apart and clean it and the little screen too then it will start and run full throttle.

I dont think ethanol destroys engine or piston itself, but fouls up the carbs constantly due to design. We need a new design for carbs that makes it easier to service for ethanol.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start!
WOW; Dargo you are all up in my business telling me what i do and do now know. I am old school and when i open my mouth i can back it up. Have you heard of test kits for methanol? I have and use them. So when i say i don't use methanol in my small engines, I can back that up. But you go ahead and continue to tell me what i do and do not use. It is getting entertaining. I am blessed to live in a are where there are choices in gas...and yes the choice is getting slimmer with time.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #27  
I dont think ethanol destroys engine or piston itself, but fouls up the carbs constantly due to design. We need a new design for carbs that makes it easier to service for ethanol.
That is does. But it also does bad things to the plastic/vinyl/rubber parts in the system (seals, fuel lines, primer bulb, etc)

Aaron Z

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #28  
WOW; Dargo you are all up in my business telling me what i do and do now know. I am old school and when i open my mouth i can back it up. Have you heard of test kits for methanol? I have and use them. So when i say i don't use methanol in my small engines, I can back that up. But you go ahead and continue to tell me what i do and do not use. It is getting entertaining. I am blessed to live in a are where there are choices in gas...and yes the choice is getting slimmer with time.

I'm stating facts about ethanol and how it is the first suspect in what you describe. YOU seem to have an issue with anyone explaining your unjustified rant based on any other cause. Start a thread that says "Stihl products suck" and see how many people agree with you. I have no further interest in conversing with you because you are brain locked into thinking Stihl makes poor products and Husqvarna makes superior products. I would simply suggest that you only buy your beloved "Husky" products, but you'd only come up with some other illogical and unrelated smart comment. Have a good day and good luck with anyone helping you.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #29  
I live in a state (CT) where ethanol free pump gas not available anywhere. For me, the nearest real gas is over 2.5 hrs away. I had resigned myself to running my small engines dry every time I used them. A local Stihl dealer just sold me a gallon of a ethanol free small engine fuel. It is made by a racing fuel manufacturer call VP racing.

SEF 94

I have run a tank through my saw, trimmer and blower. All three run much better on this fuel. My little MS250 saw picks up revs quicker and has more torque at low speed (like when trimming small limbs off a dropped tree). As a extra perk the stuff smells like race gas when you pour it in and when you catch a whiff of exhaust these little engines smell like race engines. Reminds me of being at the track.

The stuff is pricey. The local stihl dealer selling this stuff gets $16/gallon. I won't be going back to the crap pump gas for my small engines ever again. I don't have to deal with crapped up carbs and the tools are much more fun to use :thumbsup:

In interesting note Stihl is selling a similar product under their own brand as well. Motomix About double the price of the VP. The Stihl dealer preferred the VP fuel to the motomix so I have not tried the Motomix.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #30  
That is does. But it also does bad things to the plastic/vinyl/rubber parts in the system (seals, fuel lines, primer bulb, etc)

Aaron Z

Hence reason why we need a redesign. From what I seen, half of small engines have this stuff right on the the carb. I vote for a TOTAL redesign.

small manufacturers- you know who you are. take heed and redesign it for ethanol . PLEASE! apparently we are stuck with it until someone comes up with a different fuel source. we need metal lines. we need fast drainbacks from carbs instead of draining tanks and then run dry. we need to start our machines without the darn primer bulbs. we need ethanol resistant seals.