Rant! Stihl wont start!

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #1  

ae_ted

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1040
Finally gave up on trying to start mt Stihl 55 rototiller.
1st that stupid plastic priming bulb had rotted after few yrs. Bought new in 2004 and used maybe 3 hrs.
2nd replaced that bulb and made new gas and oil mixture and still did not start and run. Would start after a lot of pulling but would not take off and would just die. GRRRR
took out spark plug and gaped to spec and still same results.
going to have to take it to dealer to see if he can make this pos thing start and run.

Reason I'm so ticked is iv had a Huskie 240 chainsaw since 1977 and it ALWAYS HAS STARTED NO MATTER WHAT, even after setting for 6 yrs it starts and runs fine after no more than 5 or 6 pulls after 6 yrs, most time after 3 or 4 pulls. Point is that it has ALWAYS STARTED and worked perfict. 4 yrs ago I had the huskie tuned up and that was first and only spark plug it has ever had.

I thought I was getting a quality small tiller when i got the Stihl instead of a Mantis. I was wrong . I am not at all impressed with the so called quality of a Stihl. What i judge a small engine by is ... does it work!!!

HAHA and people wonder why i get grumpy. oh well mabey the dealer can fix this "thing"
This was my first experience with a Stihl and it WILL be the LAST!!
rant done....I feel all better now....

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #2  
Can't say I blame you for being grumpy, but maybe it'll be something simple for the dealer to fix.:laughing: In this 95 degree temperature today, I worked my 6 year old Stihl FS55RC string trimmer hard to two and a half hours. Last week, a friend was startled when it started so easily the first time he pulled the cord, so I'm happy with Stihl. However, I do have a Mantis tiller.:D

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #3  
My bet is don't blame the Stihl , blame the gas ! Ethanol may be good for the corn lobbyists but it is deadly to small engines. I have switched to SEF94 fuel from VP racing fuels no ethanol ,end of problem. Good luck !

/ Rant! Stihl wont start!
Took the ---- ---- to the dealer today. They are 2 to 3 weeks to get to it. haha I am starting to "love" this Stihl more and more. Good thing I don't really need it. I am considering chalking this lesson up to "stupid tax". I ask the dealer that if i pour the gas out after using and then run it dry could I expect it to run in a few yrs if i pour fresh gas in and start. They said I should expect that it would. we shall see. They also said to make sure and not run ethanol in it as that would surely mess it up. I don't run ethanol in any of my stuff. My outboard motor dealer already cautioned me about that.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #5  
Good thinking ! Wish I could get ethanol free for the boat but everything here is 10% , can't wait till they kick it up to 15 ! :smiley_aafz:

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #6  
I don't have a choice either unless I buy the pre-mix at $5 a quart from the Saw Dealer.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #7  
Sorry for your troubles... Ive got 5 stihls that have been bulletproof. My O24 farm boss is going 15 years, it sat for 4 years, took the carb apart and cleaned her up with carb cleaner and she fired right up! And yes, ethanol is the devil, stabil has special ethanol treatment ive been trying to remember to use.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #8  
Many of these small engines were built when there was no ethanol and the rubber components can't handle it. Meaning primer bulbs, fuel lines, and fuel pump diapgrahms (sp?) turn to poo when exposed to ethanol.

You may just need to remove the carb, clean it, and install new carb kit along with a primer and fuel lines. Avoid the corn syrup gas if you can.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start!
update:
after 3 weeks in shop(glad I was not in a hurry) and $65.00 to rebuild carburetor, I have it back at home and it works and starts fine. From now on when I get done using it , I will pour out the gas and then start and run it dry. The shop told me that if i do this procedure, then it should start even after prolonged storage. I am spoiled by the Husky 1977 240 model chainsaw that has started EVERY time, even after 5 to 7 years of storage. It works every time without hassle. I wish husky made a small commercial grade tiller. haha all i can say it's not a Husky! I was hoping better from Stihl. Oh just fyi, I do not have to run the husky dry, It will start and run on bad gas. It simply works and works every time in all conditions.

/ Rant! Stihl wont start! #10  
Many of these small engines were built when there was no ethanol and the rubber components can't handle it. Meaning primer bulbs, fuel lines, and fuel pump diapgrahms (sp?) turn to poo when exposed to ethanol.

You may just need to remove the carb, clean it, and install new carb kit along with a primer and fuel lines. Avoid the corn syrup gas if you can.

2many,

When I bought my Stihl FarmBoss and my trimmer, they said ABSOLUTELY run the tank dry and pull it a couple more time to make SURE it is dry because the "Corn syrup Gas" is heck on the carbs.

Somebody should tell USDA Corn is for whiskey and tortillas (in that order!).

David