Troy-Bilt pressure washer - cost of new pump?

/ Troy-Bilt pressure washer - cost of new pump? #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
I was using my 4-5 yr old Troy-Bilt 2300psi pressure washer with 6.75hp B&S motor the other day and I looked back and all of a sudden there was oil pouring out from underneath the pump. I ran back to it and looked to see where it was coming and it was coming from the water pump. I haven't looked at it close enough to tell where the leak was at, and I didn't hear any metal crunching noise, but I can probably assume there may be some damage to the insides of it.

Anybody have any idea about how much a new pump will cost? Is the pump on these just more chinese junk? I'm going to make a guess that for the cost of a brand new pump, I can probably add a few more bucks and get a whole brand new pressure washer? If true, that would be a shame cause this one really doesn't have very much use on it, and the motor runs just fine.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions???

/ Troy-Bilt pressure washer - cost of new pump? #2  
I recently just found myself with the same problem. I had a 3000 psi 3 gallon a minute Honda north star pressure washer. It was a good machine I had it for about 8 years. Then a couple of weeks ago the pump would not build pressure. I looked into replacement pumps but the ones that were compatible were around $500. So I ended up going to my JD dealer and got a new JD PR-3000GH. It has a Honda motor and Is 3000psi and 2.4 gallon a minute. All said and done I got a little bit knocked off and got out of there for a little under $700. I know it is not exactly the same but it still works great. The PR line is JD middle line. You also can save about $50 if you go with a Subaru engine. Hope this helps.

/ Troy-Bilt pressure washer - cost of new pump? #3  
Yes they are Chi-com junk but they are serviceable. Carefully crank it over with the plug removed and see where the oil is coming from. Chances are it is just a gasket and you can fix it with high temp permatex and a quart of new pump oil.

/ Troy-Bilt pressure washer - cost of new pump? #4  
Kind of doubt it's a gasket, could be, but not likely. Probably leaking between the ceramic plungers & oil sump.

/ Troy-Bilt pressure washer - cost of new pump? #5  
Yes they are Chi-com junk but they are serviceable. Carefully crank it over with the plug removed and see where the oil is coming from. Chances are it is just a gasket and you can fix it with high temp permatex and a quart of new pump oil.

'Chi-com" Haven't heard that term for about 40 years.

/ Troy-Bilt pressure washer - cost of new pump? #6  
I recently just found myself with the same problem. I had a 3000 psi 3 gallon a minute Honda north star pressure washer. It was a good machine I had it for about 8 years. Then a couple of weeks ago the pump would not build pressure. I looked into replacement pumps but the ones that were compatible were around $500. So I ended up going to my JD dealer and got a new JD PR-3000GH. It has a Honda motor and Is 3000psi and 2.4 gallon a minute. All said and done I got a little bit knocked off and got out of there for a little under $700. I know it is not exactly the same but it still works great. The PR line is JD middle line. You also can save about $50 if you go with a Subaru engine. Hope this helps.

Don't know if you still have the unit, but mine stopped building pressure as well and when i took it to the repair shop they said the pump was shot and it would cost approx 200 to fix. I left not wanting to pay that much to fix it, so i tore the pump apart and found dirt in the pressure relief valve on the side of the pump. I put it back together and it still didn't work so i loosened the pressure relief port adjustment screw and backed off all of the pressure and the pump started working. After it had some time to flush the system i tightened the screw back up and the pump built pressure and works fine. When i called the service center to explain what i found, the guy told me that because the pumps are so expensive to repair they just tell people to replace them.

To make a long story short, if you still have your old unit you may be able to clean the pressure valve and have a backup unit.

/ Troy-Bilt pressure washer - cost of new pump? #7  
I have a Troy Bilt 3000 psi unit. I got less than a year out of it. Took it to a local repair shop. Spent $200 and got another hours use out of it. They are not able to obtain a replacement pump from their suppliers. I have found out that units in the $400 +/- range are designed to last about 50 hrs. In order to get a unit that will last longer you have to spend $1100 + or there abouts. You have a choice you can spend the $'s and get some life out of it, or you can buy probably 3 of the low end junk and throw them out when they quit, which will be soon! I did find a replacement pump on line fro about $260 which I might do - something inside me makes me cringe at the thought of throwing out a perfectly good motor, frame, detergent tanks, wand, etc.

/ Troy-Bilt pressure washer - cost of new pump? #8  
I have a Troy Bilt 3000 psi unit. I got less than a year out of it. Took it to a local repair shop. Spent $200 and got another hours use out of it. They are not able to obtain a replacement pump from their suppliers. I have found out that units in the $400 +/- range are designed to last about 50 hrs. In order to get a unit that will last longer you have to spend $1100 + or there abouts. You have a choice you can spend the $'s and get some life out of it, or you can buy probably 3 of the low end junk and throw them out when they quit, which will be soon! I did find a replacement pump on line fro about $260 which I might do - something inside me makes me cringe at the thought of throwing out a perfectly good motor, frame, detergent tanks, wand, etc.

I had the same dilema and finally bought a new pump from We offer the choice of parts breakdowns, Pumps, Repair Parts and accessories as well as new pressure washers. the pump was on sale for $150 and comes with a warranty. The pump looks better built than what came with the original system and bolted right up. I have used it several times and everything works fine.

/ Troy-Bilt pressure washer - cost of new pump? #9  
From what I unerstand the pumps made of brass are better than the ones made of aluminun.I've been thinking of buying one but haven't done enough research yet as to brand...russ