Need a new Trimmer...

/ Need a new Trimmer... #1  

Grant1994

Hi everyone,
I am in the market for a new string trimmer. I currently have an old homelite right now that is on it's last leg. I don't have to do much just around some garden beds, rocks, trees, and around the deck and house. I also have a long driveway and walkway that I have been edging with the trimmer and would be fine continuing to do even though it's not the cleanest edge. I have looked at a few of the basic stihl homeowner models, and I have also looked at the stihl kombi system which would allow me to get a few more attachments tht could be useful. The only reason I've just looked at stihl is because I have a chainsaw from them that I am in love with. I am open to other brands though... So if anyone has any advice or opinions or other options please let me know!

Thanks

/ Need a new Trimmer... #2  
The Kombi system is top of the line, as is all Stihl equipment, unfortunately so is their price. I would pick up several and see how they "feel" for you before purchasing, other good brands that hold up well are Husquvarna, Echo and Poulan. Look for a straight shaft trimmer head, they balance better and offer better reach for trimming/edging.

/ Need a new Trimmer... #3  
Stihl, Shindaiwa, Maruyama, RedMax, Echo, Husqvarna, Robin, and a few others - they all make good products. I would recommend spending a few dollars more to get a bottom-end commercial model of which ever brand you like.

/ Need a new Trimmer... #4  
I think the Kombi system is a great idea, if you have a use or need for all those attachments, but I do not. A commercial model string trimmer is also a good idea, if you have some heavy duty work to do and don't mind the extra cost. On my city lot, to trim around the fences (both wood and chain link) around the house foundation, around trees, around a tool storage shed, and to edge a couple of driveways and a sidewalk a really heavy duty model just isn't necessary. I've got a 6+ year old RS 55 RC Stihl, which is more than what is needed for my property. But I've used it quite a bit on some other properties (2 daughters & 3 neighbors:laughing:) with grass and weeds up to knee high. Now that does make it work, but so far it's handled the jobs well. After the first year I replaced the spark plug, then decided that was a waste of time, money, and effort so haven't replace it since. And this year, even though it was running just fine, I gave it a new air filter. And other than changing string and annually applying grease to the lower gear that's all that's been done to it. And that reminds me that I'm getting close to using up that one tube of Stihl gear grease.

I do use Stihl's synthetic 2-cycle oil in 89 octane gas with Stabil added. And when I use the string trimmer, I clean it just a little bit with 125-150 psi compressed air.

/ Need a new Trimmer... #5  
Stihl FS90R....I would buy it again. Prior to that I had a mix of routine trimmers, and this Stihl is far better. It seems to have a lot of torque, and high rpms is not needed.

/ Need a new Trimmer... #6  
All the brands mentioned are good ,I have a commercial Tanaka that I have used for a least 10+ years.They have a self feed head called THE BRAIN that I really love.:) If you don't do your own service as I do;I would suggest a brand with a good service dept. close to you.

/ Need a new Trimmer... #7  
I recently bought a new string trimmer. I went to my local dealer who sells Husky, Stihl, and Kawasaki. He recommended the Kawasaki and to date I am very pleased. It starts easy and has plenty of power. This same dealer recommended Stihl when I was shopping for a chain saw. I have also been pleased with the Stihl saw but it is a little more cold natured compared to the Kawasaki trimmer.

/ Need a new Trimmer... #8  
Every 7 years I buy a new cheapy trimmer... last month it was $69 at Home Depot.

The Trimmer is used every week to service lawns at 6 locations...

The last one was getting real hard to keep running... online, the carb kit was $29 plus shipping...

14 years on the last two... time will tell.

I also bought the top of the line Echo many years ago for brush cutting... it has been a work horse... unfortunately, Echo no longer supports this model citing it does not meet emission standards.

My Dealer was a little surprised because what I needed was in the catalog... then he learned the decision was made at corporate last December to drop older, no longer compliant equipment...

I'm a little surprised they would drop a commercial product... it was close to $400 way back when...

/ Need a new Trimmer... #9  
Have a 25 year old Echo chainsaw that I still use regularly. My first trimmer was a straight shaft Echo trimmer that was still running great when it was stolen 20 years later. So I of course bought an Echo to replace my trimmer. Lowes carried what appeared to be a very similar model but I had several small but annoying problems with this new trimmer. First off the fuel hose from the tank to the carb started to melt within a few weeks, until I found the problem this caused hard starting and rough running as the fuel flow was being restricted. Once I replaced the hose it has been running fine. The only other complaint I have was the Echo trim head was awful, wouldn't feed when full and for some reason snapped allot of line. After replacing it with a commercial Husky head (awesome) I have had no other issues. Time will tell if it has the longevity built in like its predecessor, however if it gets stolen I think I will try a Stihl.