DR Self-Propelled String Trimer Problems

/ DR Self-Propelled String Trimer Problems #1  

Jim45

Tractor
Kubota BX22
I have a 15 month old top-of-the-line DR self-propelled string trimmer that is giving me a lot of trouble. This last season both drive wheels failed (cracks along the tread) so I lost over two weeks of use waiting for replacements. The wheels were replaced under warranty and are different so maybe they changed vendors to something better. I guess time will tell. Then the bearing right above the rotating assembly failed--also easy to replace. Now I have an intermittent problem with the transmission. It occasionally it locks up with the clutch disengaged and I have to physically drag the unit backwards with the wheels locked. I took it into a repair place and they couldn't duplicate the problem so DR would not authorize any repair--I will have to live with it I guess. Also, the mow balls are made of nylon and only last about 15 hours of use since we have some rock on the surface on our property. I will go through two of them a year. Also, the design results in the engine being tipped forward about 10deg when on a level surface so you have to tilt the unit back to check the oil level. The engine is specified for use on a maximum of 15deg slope so you can only mow downhill on a 5deg slope which is fairly limiting in our area. The B&S engine is great.

I have an old Bear Cat self-propelled unit with a three speed transmission. I had to replace the engine last year and tried to sell it on craigslist.com after I bought the "superior" DR. Fortunately, it didn't sell so I had it available to use when the DR was down. It is actually a superior design in several ways; heavy steel mow ball, the engine sits level on a level surface and, has a three speed transmission (the newer DRs do also) and the design is rock solid with no problems after six years of heavy use. I wish I had bought another Bear Cat instead of the DR.

Am I the only one having problems with DR trimmers?

/ DR Self-Propelled String Trimer Problems #2  
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but talk about timing. I was looking at these the other day trying to convince myself that it was what I wanted.

/ DR Self-Propelled String Trimer Problems #3  
I never, nor would I want, a self-propelled one, but I bought what was the top of the line in 1998 and was very happy with it.

/ DR Self-Propelled String Trimer Problems
Our land is mainly sloped with annual grasses and thistles up to six feet tall. We whack about three acres after it browns out in the early summer as a fire prevention measure. A manual push unit just wouldn't work for me. Just hauling my body behind the unit for two hours at a time is all I can do!