Stihl FS 310 & MS 362

/ Stihl FS 310 & MS 362 #1  

WALT

Gold Member
Tractor
KUBOTA BX2200, L-39 TLB & RTV X1100C
I stopped at the local dealer to look for a replacement for my 12 y/o Honda 431 Brush cutter/trimmer. Among the choices were a new 35 cc Honda and the Stihl line up.
As I discussed options with the dealer, he showed me the FS 250 & the FS 310.
He stated that the FS 310 & up models have the improved anti-vibration isolation over the FS 250. Some of you have the FS 250 as I have read from past posts.
What is your opinion between the two model lines? The FS 250 has more power than the FS 310 per the specs. The dealer did not have any units to demo.

Also, I am replacing a 20+ y/o Jonsered chain saw and and looking at the MS 261/MS362 models. I will be using the 20" bar and believe that the MS 362 has the extra power to run that size bar/chain. Any comments?

I have a Stihl BG85 blower & TS 400 cut-off saw, which have been solid performing units.

WALT

/ Stihl FS 310 & MS 362 #2  
With a sharp chain, the 362 has no problem running a 20" bar buried in hardwood - the 25" might be a stretch.

/ Stihl FS 310 & MS 362 #3  
Bought a new FS250 last year. I love it. I can run it for 3 hours with no problem from vibration. Super powerful unit. Got the 3 blade knife, bump feed string head and poly blade head. Love the handle bars and shoulder harness. Stihl makes a deluxe shoulder harness also for premium comfort. Should Harnesses Trimmer Trimmer Shoulder Strap, Weed Trimmer Shoulder Straps | STIHL I also have a MS290 with a 20in bar. I use a .325 pitch RSC chain. It cuts fast and have had no power issues. You'll be fine with the MS310 or 362.:thumbsup:

/ Stihl FS 310 & MS 362 #4  
The 261 is a great saw but I would not want to run a 20" bar on my 260 (last years model).

/ Stihl FS 310 & MS 362
After research here & elsewhere, I decided to buy the Stihl FS 310 brushcutter & the MS 362 chainsaw. After handling the units, they both had a good feel and fit me well (6'2" 250 lbs.)

I got the wrong (8.9") blade instead of the proper 8" chipper blade, so I could not try it today, but I will remedy that tomorrow.

I ran the MS 362 through some 12" oak to test it, and am happy to report that it cut so fast that it surprised me. I am using the RSC chain on a 20" bar, which as posted here, makes a big difference.

Prior to this post, I never looked down the page to the other than tractor forums, but this info & past experience makes TBN the great resource that it is.

Thanks again.
WALT

/ Stihl FS 310 & MS 362 #6  
nice machines- I run a fs250R (no handlebars) with the heavy grass blade and it does a good job even on small saplings (up to 2" or so) and I run a MS290 with a 20" bar that I am very happy with. Also have a FS90R which is nice b/c you can put just about any attachment on it (non-Kombi system) and it does well- so far I have the 135* hedge trimmer and the string head but will be getting the tree trimmer (chainsaw) attachment for it soon. Love stihls!

/ Stihl FS 310 & MS 362 #7  
If you are only going to buy one saw get the MS362. It can handle the 20" bar with no problems

Steve

/ Stihl FS 310 & MS 362 #8  
i wouldnt worrie about all specs , i would pay more money fer spec on somethin like that thats my oppion i dont know though thats yet chioce but go with stihl

/ Stihl FS 310 & MS 362 #9  
I believe the FS310 also weighs more than the FS250. If you will be using it all day, that might be a consideration. I really like my FS250, just wish Stihl would offer a longer shaft for taller users

I run a 20" bar on my 260 and it does fine unless I need to cut larger diameter trees, then I grab the 360. I like running the 20" bar on the 260 for bucking and limbing as it saves my back :) The 260pro is also lighter than the 360 which is another reason it is the saw I use the most