After market string trimmer head options that actually work

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work
Didn't mean to hi-Jack this thread but I sure appreciate the ideas on the harness for the string trimmer. I will be trying some of them - haven't decided what yet but I sure learn a lot from this. Thanks!
The Trimmer Assist w/bungee cords that I have is an over the shoulder and under the arm, bandolier style-incredibly easy to get on and off or adjust. Looking at the 4 point forestry harness pictured above the thought of NASCAR comes to mind. If I were in the forestry business I would more than likely have it in my arsenal but for my seasonal weed trimming on two properties, the lightweight basic bungee harness does more than I expected.

I've been up at my mountain property for the last five days and ran the JD string trimmer with the new PivoTrim head for around five hours working under the trees and around the granite outcroppings.
As a test, I had it loaded with two factory PivoTrim strings and two Shakespeare .105" "Ugly Line" strings, all of which were cut to 12" and then 6" laced.
All four sets went the distance without replacement and are still good to go again. The two factory string sets lost about 1/4" of length and the two Shakespeare sets were the same length as started but the end tips that were originally cut blunt became slightly pointed.
My string trimmer that has been sitting idle for a couple of years is now finally for the first time a functional piece of equipment.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #43  
Hey Nickel, glad to hear your good out come.
I received my Pivotrim last week. This is what was in the package.
Before I ordered, I called the company to make sure it would fit on my older Model 410 Snapper commercial trimmer. (About a 60cc engine, so pretty strong) They assured me it would. And, it did. It couldn't have been simpler to attach.
Used it this weekend. For the money I'm very happy with it. I gave it a good workout. Banging into at least 100 fence posts, around trees and along the concrete slab of the house. Of course the strings will eventually break. I would say it lasted 5 to 8 times longer than my original spool head. I used the same string that was in the trimmer (.095) I precut mine at 13 inches, so when looped in was 6 1/2" long. I used all four spindles. I'll try using just two of them next time to experiment next time. All in all a good deal.
Note: Their ad shows the trimmer running into a chain link fence. I don't have that to try, but I really think that may be hype. That has to be bad for any string.

Attachments

• PivotrimPro 4-17-12 003.jpg
    PivotrimPro 4-17-12 003.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,036
  • Snapper410 CommercialTrimmer with PivotrimPro 4-17-12 001.jpg
    Snapper410 CommercialTrimmer with PivotrimPro 4-17-12 001.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 4,163
  • Snapper410 CommercialTrimmer with PivotrimPro 4-17-12 002.jpg
    Snapper410 CommercialTrimmer with PivotrimPro 4-17-12 002.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 2,325
HarryN,
Good to hear your experience was the same as mine-try some .105" line.
I think these kits would be a little less expensive if they didn't come with a heaping handfull of adaptors for all the different machines out there! I guess I should just be thankful that one of them actually fit my JD.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #45  
Nickel, my thoughts exactly. As soon as I use up the .095 line, I'll go to the .105 stuff. Glad I found your post to begin with.....

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #46  
If you like a bump feed head, try the Oregon speed feed head. Got one for my Stihl trimmer and it is by far the best head I have ever had. You load it without taking it apart by feeding the string through it then twisting the top to load. Takes about 30 seconds and lasts a good while. I have had it for 2 or 3 seasons now and never had a problem with line feeding.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #47  
Ordered a Pivotrim today based on the reviews here.:thumbsup:

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #48  
Look at the Oregon / Shindaiwa "Speed Feed" head.

I have one, and will never buy another brand. They are easy to string, not too expensive and tough. They also have replaceable wear parts so you can fix it instead of replacing.

Shindaiwa Speed-Feed Head - YouTube

Thanks for posting...I did not like my "speed feed" head, but apparently I was winding it wrong and the line was getting caught. :ashamed:

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #49  
Picked up a Pivotrim at Northern Tool last week for $29.95. Installed in about 2 minutes, unscrew 1 bolt, unscrew the old head, screw on the Pivotrim, feed the 4 strings in. Works great on my 4 cycle trimmer.