After market string trimmer head options that actually work

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #1  

nickel plate

Veteran Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC40S
I am so tired of switching out various mega footage string trimmer spool heads and still winding up with tightly raveled "bird's nests". I have followed the directions time and time again-still wound and bound up!
I see that there are several aftermarket spool manufactures out there that offer spools that fit almost any straight shaft weeder that you only load two to four sets of 8"+- (buy pre-cut from them or cut your own from standard string stock) string per application and once destroyed, re-load in a minute or so and have at it again. Please offer up what works for you, brands and model numbers.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #2  
My wife has an electric Stihl string trimmer and I love the head on it.. you insert the ends of the string into the head and then turn the knob on the bottom to wind the string up.. Since you only put on about 10'/side you dont get the birds nest..

Stihl sells the head separately, and the model number varies with engine size but they call it 'Autocut C easy spool'..

Shakespeare make a similar head, call the 'easy wind bump and go'..

My Stihl FS90 came with the head you have to take apart and restring - BUT the dealer told me that if you only put on about 6' to 8' of string per side, you wont get the tangle issues.. I havent used it enough to see if that is true or not though

Brian

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #3  
Look at the Oregon / Shindaiwa "Speed Feed" head.

I have one, and will never buy another brand. They are easy to string, not too expensive and tough. They also have replaceable wear parts so you can fix it instead of replacing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA2qoeToSL8]Shindaiwa Speed-Feed Head - YouTube[/ame]

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work
My wife has an electric Stihl string trimmer and I love the head on it.. you insert the ends of the string into the head and then turn the knob on the bottom to wind the string up.. Since you only put on about 10'/side you dont get the birds nest..

Stihl sells the head separately, and the model number varies with engine size but they call it 'Autocut C easy spool'..

My Stihl FS90 came with the head you have to take apart and restring - BUT the dealer told me that if you only put on about 6' to 8' of string per side, you wont get the tangle issues.. I havent used it enough to see if that is true or not though

Brian
Thanks for the reply Brian,
I'm looking for the best string trimmer head that you thread in a couple of cut to 8" strings and hit the weeds for awhile until the strings are worn down and then reload and have at it again....
come on guys-the weeds are GROWING!

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #5  
I got a Grass Gator Load and Cut. You can buy pre-cut strings, but I bought a big roll of string that's the right diameter and it works just as well as the precut stuff. It's much better to work with than any of the bump-heads I've used.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #6  
Look at the Oregon / Shindaiwa "Speed Feed" head.

I have one, and will never buy another brand. They are easy to string, not too expensive and tough. They also have replaceable wear parts so you can fix it instead of replacing.

That's got to be the easiest to load head i've ever seen.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #7  
phiferpharm said:
I got a Grass Gator Load and Cut. You can buy pre-cut strings, but I bought a big roll of string that's the right diameter and it works just as well as the precut stuff. It's much better to work with than any of the bump-heads I've used.

I second that

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #8  

Brian

Stopping to open up the head, blow debris out with the air compressor, and re-string my 7 year old Stihl FS55RC is a bit of a nuisance. I had to do it again this past week. But I put two strings of about 14' each in it when I do it.

I decided a long time ago that I want one of those Autocut C Easy Spool heads and I'm going to buy one as soon as this old original head wears out or breaks, but after 7 years, it's not showing signs of giving up yet.:laughing:

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #9  
My Stihl head is 21 years old and not worn out. The previous owners got a new trimmer as theirs was worn out. I have been using that worn out one for 10 years now. Maybe a dozen hours a year but a few string reloads a year. I have 4 thousand feet of low to the ground wire fencing which really eats up the string. I just bump the head to feed new string and move on. One reload usually does all the weed wacking I want to do for the day. I have never had string get wadded up in the Stihl heads. I usually use Stihl string but I have used other generic string bought at TSC, HD or other stores.

That fast loader is pretty cool though.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work
I see one that looks interesting on the Northern Tool site. Made by Better Heads LLC (fitting company name) it's called a Pivotrim 5101PT-C. I believe that it is a newer hybrid version of the older yet still available model "as seen on t.v."
The principle is exactly the same as my Bush Hog 480 Squealer rotary mower in that the two single pinned blades swing freely on the stump jumper plate so if I were to hit something immovable, the blade(s) not being ridgid mounted would fend off the object without sustaining catastrophic damage-in theory:eek:
This Pivotrim trimmer head has four rotating pins each with two string holes that you thread with a 16" piece of .095" common string through and loop back creating one double 8" station X 4=16 strings or just use two station pins for 4 strings.
Has anyone used one of the several models available?