Braided Cable on my weed wacker instead of plastic cutting line?

/ Braided Cable on my weed wacker instead of plastic cutting line? #1  

Tollster

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX23
I have some semi dense,low growing blue berry bushes, some green some dead, combined with low scrub oak bushes less than 1/16" dia I would like to wack but my husky 232L just eats cutting line,my husky is up for it, but in the owners manual it only shows plastic cutters,not for woody use. Curious if anyone ever tried braided cable, small diamater, say like the inside of a motorcycle cable housing >1/16" diameter?

Not sure if I can upgrade the head to a saw or metal tri blade do to the ergonomic settingof the controls, it would lack leverage, but I still may consider it or a short term use.

I am aware of the eye hazards and leg hazards applying to this idea, but wondered about the balancing and the line cutter on the wacker.

/ Braided Cable on my weed wacker instead of plastic cutting line? #2  
Howdy.

Don't do it. Purchase of a new heavy duty Weedwacker with the correct head will be cheaper than the medical expense incurred when using braided cable. It won't matter what protection you use the potential for injury is there.

I replace the original equipment with the add-on blades if they are not offered in that model. My use is for Blackberry bushes on hillsides. Some of those canes are 1 1/2 thick.

/ Braided Cable on my weed wacker instead of plastic cutting line? #3  
You should be able to get one of those circular saw type of blades that would do a good job. Is it a Stihl?

/ Braided Cable on my weed wacker instead of plastic cutting line?
Is it a Stihl?

Its a husqvarna,not sure if the head shaft is standard diameter between the weedwackers and brushcutters though. Looks like .50" dia shaft.

/ Braided Cable on my weed wacker instead of plastic cutting line? #5  
I went to some oversized cutting line, and it lasts a lot longer than the standard stuff. (or maybe I just got some good line?) A small reel of larger stuff wouldn't be much of an investment to loose if it didn't work. (I went to almost 1/8" stuff, .100 or something like that)
David from jax

/ Braided Cable on my weed wacker instead of plastic cutting line?
I believe the motor housing is the same as the 232R brushcutter. Do ya'll think it would be fesable to convert the throttle and controls over to the 232R assembly?
I think it would be around a 100-150.00 max with blade, but I am not sure if the clutch assemble is the same.
The motor and housings look the same,and the cowlings have the same part numbers.

Here are the parts i would need:
Husqvarna 232 R Parts List and Diagram - (1998-01) : eReplacementParts.com

Here is a look at my 232L controls:
Husqvarna 232 L Parts List and Diagram - (2000-04) : eReplacementParts.com

I think the clip where the grab/Control bar attaches are the same. So I think I can swap out the contols and head unit but not sure...what do ya'll think?

/ Braided Cable on my weed wacker instead of plastic cutting line? #7  
If you start hobbling parts together, who knows how long your Husky will last. Driveshaft size, clutch, bearings, etc.- why not just buy one of the multi-fit heads that will take the plastic blades? You should be able to find one no problem- and if those blades won't hold up, then you are using too small of a machine to do the job, anyways. You should also watch Craigslist and local papers for a brush cutter- you might find one for less than the amount of money you are talking about in hobbling something together with your current trimmer. My dad bought an almost brand new Husqvarna brush cutter for chump change at an estate sale. We hardly ever need it, but when we do, nothing else will replace it. He gave less than $100 for it, and it had never had gas in it. The guy had collected tools, and had about 4 of them, still with the tags on them. Same for chainsaws- 4 brand new ones.

/ Braided Cable on my weed wacker instead of plastic cutting line? #8  
Yep...dont use cable. Once it starts to unwind, peices will go flying. Little splints of metal in the legs arent going to be fun.

If the unit can handle it, the saw blades are the way to go:thumbsup:

/ Braided Cable on my weed wacker instead of plastic cutting line? #9  
I'm going to switch to this on my string trimmer. Oregon said it is their toughest line.

OREGON FlexiBlade

If that doesn't work, I may give up on the strings and just use the brush cutter blade. But the blade is so much smaller I have to work twice as long!

Bruce

/ Braided Cable on my weed wacker instead of plastic cutting line? #10  
I'm going to switch to this on my string trimmer. Oregon said it is their toughest line.

OREGON FlexiBlade

If that doesn't work, I may give up on the strings and just use the brush cutter blade. But the blade is so much smaller I have to work twice as long!

Bruce

I use a 7.5" circular sawblade on mine:thumbsup: And it cuts up brush/briars better than anything I have tried