Stihl FS 106 worth fixing?

/ Stihl FS 106 worth fixing? #1  

garacuda

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere LX255 - T0-30 - John Deere 4200 w/FEL
I just picked up a used Stihl FS 106 at a yard sale for $5.......but it does not have a carb on it. I wanted the brush cutter blade that was on it for my FS 85. It has the handle bars and strap and everything but a carb and it seems to have good compression. The guy couldn't tell me why the carb was removed. It came with his house when he bought it.

Is it worth searching for a used carb to see if it runs??? Or should I just keep it around for parts???

Thanks guys, I love this web site......but it does interfere with my work sometimes.

/ Stihl FS 106 worth fixing? #2  
good chance it being a Walbro or Zama carburator.

/ Stihl FS 106 worth fixing?
Know a good source for used ones? Or how much? Was thinking about taking the one off my FS85 and see if it would fit, just to know if it's worth putting any $$ in. It doesn't look like it's got near the use that mine has. I just don't know much about working on them, but I'm sure I could make the swap......if it would fit.

thanks

/ Stihl FS 106 worth fixing? #4  
I don't know where you would get a used one... fleabay maybe? All I know is that your FS-106 has a Zama C1Q-SK5 carburator and that you can get them new for 50 to 70 buck range.

That's exactly the information I'm looking for. I'll check my 85 and see what it's got on it. Thanks DieselMonk. This site is great!

/ Stihl FS 106 worth fixing? #6  
So post back as I am curious if the crarb swap worked and the engine still works.

It'll be a few days before I get to it, but I will post the results back here.

/ Stihl FS 106 worth fixing? #8  
dont know if you still
have this fs106 trimmer?
if so do you want to sell the fuel tank?
cant find one any more.

Well.......no I don't, but now I'm beginning to wonder if I should have kept it. My boss needed a fuel tank for his Stihl (forget which model), so I gave him that one and it fit. His split open, what happened to yours?

Hope my FS85 stays together, it has for 18 years now and still starts on the second pull. I would have thought they would still be making parts for these. :confused: