Best Trimmer Line

/ Best Trimmer Line #1  

whistlepig

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 with FEL
I have tried a bunch of different trimmer lines. I have always ending up going back to the Stihl .095" round line. It seems the odd shaped lines cut a little bit better but they seem to weld themselves together in my Autocut heads and won't feed without taking the head apart. I keep about 4,000 feet of fence trimmed a few times a summer.

/ Best Trimmer Line #2  
ma, bought a new weed eater / trimmer. so picked up some line for her, and filled it up. not even 5 seconds. and the odd shape line, got caught up in the bump head to auto feed more line out.

redid things up. not even 7 seconds, and that was it.

=============
now a week or 2 later. redid the odd shape line, and have not had a single problem with it. exception the stupid "razor blade" / sharp edge. to cut line that ends up to long. that is a different story, and will not cut round or odd shape line.

when i redid the odd shape this last time. i "loosely" put the line. not so loose that it would unravel. but not so tight that i was physically pulling on the line to get it nice and tight as i put the line on. just tight enough to keep it unraveling.

i also took extra care, to make sure lines wove better. vs just randomly bouncing the line all over the place, as i put it on.

==============
now that i have said above. watch it happen, weld up and get all caught up inside the bump head several more times every time it gets used again.

you might try "less" string, vs trying to put as much string as possible on the bump head of the trimmer / weed eater. maybe ya packing things to tight. and simply not enough room for things to spin and let the line out with out getting all tangled up.

other words to above, kinda like a winch. were you just pulled all the cable out and now winding it back in, without any sort of load on the cable. and the cable begins to wrap itself up over to one side, vs a nice neat spiral. *shrugs*

most likely it will always happen some, with odd shape line. just do to the nature of it being odd shape, and catching the rest of the line in the bump head of the trimmer.

/ Best Trimmer Line #3  
Gotta Love Insomnia....

Kinda OT but I found these universal Husqvarna trim heads in a bargain bin and bought one for my Echo. Best feeding head I have ever used and very easy to load. Went back and bought the remaining three left in the bin. After many hours of use absolutely no feed problems with the string that came with the kit (pretty neat product) or using .095 "star" string I had purchased previously in bulk.

Head
T35 Tap Advance - Heads and blades

Trimmer Line
XPョ Force? Trimmer Line - Trimmer lines

/ Best Trimmer Line #4  
I have tried all kinds of trimmer line, and like you, I keep coming back to the stihl .095 round line... I guess that must say that it is the "best" for me. It sometimes gets brittle over time (I buy 5 lb. rolls), but I just leave the roll in a bucket of water for a couple days, and it softens it up and makes it perform like new.

/ Best Trimmer Line #5  
I have tried a bunch of different trimmer lines. I have always ending up going back to the Stihl .095" round line. It seems the odd shaped lines cut a little bit better but they seem to weld themselves together in my Autocut heads and won't feed without taking the head apart. I keep about 4,000 feet of fence trimmed a few times a summer.

I got rid of the bump feeder on my Tanaka string trimmer and went with the other kind that uses 16.5" long 0.095" precut strings. Carry 5 or 6 replacement strings in my pocket. No more feeder jams. It takes 10 seconds to swap strings and gives me a chance to take a short breather. I mow about 1/2 mile of ditch and fence line 3 or 4 times a season.

/ Best Trimmer Line #6  
Our local rent all and farm store sells Gator Line and I can't imagine anything better. The farm store also recommended swapping out the head with a new one that's much easier to load. All you do is cut a ten foot section, thread it through to the halfway point, and wind it up till about 10 inches are visible. It unwinds as you bump it. Between the Gator line which lasts a long time and the easy loading head, my wife is out all day making the place look good! I bought the 4 stroke Honda string trimmer and that makes quite the package.

/ Best Trimmer Line #7  
I like the Gator magnum line as well.

Will

/ Best Trimmer Line #8  
I have tried all kinds of trimmer line, and like you, I keep coming back to the stihl .095 round line...

Me, too. At one time I thought some of that square line and some of that 6 sided line might be a little better, but maybe it was just a fad.;) Anyway, I use the Stihl .095" line and it works very well.

/ Best Trimmer Line
I got rid of the bump feeder on my Tanaka string trimmer and went with the other kind that uses 16.5" long 0.095" precut strings. Carry 5 or 6 replacement strings in my pocket. No more feeder jams. It takes 10 seconds to swap strings and gives me a chance to take a short breather. I mow about 1/2 mile of ditch and fence line 3 or 4 times a season.

For sure I'm not doing away with my Stihl Auto-cut bump feeder. It holds 33' of line. I'm getting ready to trim 2,600 feet of No-Climb horse fence next week. Twice. First down on side and then down the other. I have never tried soaking the string in water. I'm going to give that a try next week.

/ Best Trimmer Line #10  
I have yards and yards of trimmer line from my Dad's old farm store, so for me...that is the best line. Till it's gone.