Which weedeater to buy Dad?

/ Which weedeater to buy Dad? #1  

PapaPerk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500
My dad is getting a weedeater for fathers day. I'm thinking about the Stihl FS90R.

Does anyone recommend a better one? It will be used for trim grass around house and heavy grass with polycut head at farm.

Thanks!

/ Which weedeater to buy Dad? #2  
We bought a Sears weedeater with wheels...it is like a lawn mower except in has the weed eater line on it...We have used it for over 10 yrs. and it is great....makes weed eating painless. There are several different brands available now...

/ Which weedeater to buy Dad?
brin said:
We bought a Sears weedeater with wheels...it is like a lawn mower except in has the weed eater line on it...We have used it for over 10 yrs. and it is great....makes weed eating painless. There are several different brands available now...

Hmmm interesting option!

/ Which weedeater to buy Dad? #4  
Um, can I be your Dad:) :)

Excellent choice, I've an FS85, very similar, and an FS250. The FS85 is pretty powerful but I needed the FS250 to take the circular sawblade to cut down saplings.

I bought my FS250 along with the extra equipment for the Chisel tooth blade and the package came with the shoulder harness. I really like the bicycle handles and shoulder harness.

It's not the least expensive solution, but they are very reliable if you can use ethanol free gas.

Other options I'd suggest is to get a tube of grease at the same time and make sure he has good hearing and sight protection.

/ Which weedeater to buy Dad? #5  
My dad is getting a weedeater for fathers day. I'm thinking about the Stihl FS90R.

Does anyone recommend a better one? It will be used for trim grass around house and heavy grass with polycut head at farm.

Thanks!

Hard to beat a Stihl - I have a 11 year old FS85 and it still runs great.

/ Which weedeater to buy Dad? #6  
Um, can I be your Dad:) :)

Excellent choice, I've an FS85, very similar, and an FS250. The FS85 is pretty powerful but I needed the FS250 to take the circular sawblade to cut down saplings.

I bought my FS250 along with the extra equipment for the Chisel tooth blade and the package came with the shoulder harness. I really like the bicycle handles and shoulder harness.

It's not the least expensive solution, but they are very reliable if you can use ethanol free gas.

Other options I'd suggest is to get a tube of grease at the same time and make sure he has good hearing and sight protection.

Hmm....I use a circular sawblade on my FS85.

/ Which weedeater to buy Dad? #7  
I just bought a Stihl FS 100 RX. I looked at the FS 90 R. The FS 100 RX weighs one pound less than the FS 90 R, has a bigger motor, and more HP. The FS 100 RX will run a poly head but it's not recommended for the steel cutting blades. The FS 90 R can use the steel cutting blades (brush knife and circular saws).

/ Which weedeater to buy Dad? #8  
The 90 is closest thing to a FS 85 that is made today. I am not sure, but my 85 is either 8 or 9 years old, and it has been completly relaible...starts every spring and every time I use it. It was $300, but averaged over 8-9 years, it is not that much.

Will

/ Which weedeater to buy Dad? #9  
We have had two FS85's for years and they are great. We also have a big one with the saw blade, but I don't remember the number. We have tried several brands and prefer Stihl.

/ Which weedeater to buy Dad? #10  
All good things to say. Have a 4 mix 90 love it. Torquey. Had an fs74 since 94. Still runs. Can't go wrong. These 4's are far superior to the 2's if you can handle the weight.

Attachments

• image-146922467.jpg
    image-146922467.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 640