Weed eater head that will actually cut?

/ Weed eater head that will actually cut? #1  

Rio_Grande

Platinum Member
I have a FS120. It rocks on lawn grass with the string head and is awsome on small trees and brush with the saw blade. (one that has chainsaw type teeth). The issue I have is when I am in field edges and come up on tall grass mixed with shrubs and brush. Need to change blades every 5 minutes to get the good cutting I want.

Is there another head combo that works well in both? I compleetly understand If I want to cut a small tree off I have to go back to the blade. The blade really cloggs up in grass and dosent cut much. The trimmer line just bounces off of the smaller brush.

What is the solution?

/ Weed eater head that will actually cut? #2  
I just brought home an FS130 with the 3 knife blade. It works great on tall grasses and saplings up to 5/8" ... maybe more, but I haven't tried. If I go into an area with lots of stuff bigger than that I'll probably bring my loppers with me. Have to rig up a good sling for them to make toting them around less of a pain ...

/ Weed eater head that will actually cut? #3  
Not sure the size of your brush but I've used a polycut head w/ with three thermoplastic blades. Seemed to work well for green brush up to about 3/8", like heavy brambles, a couple of year old saplings. And did great on grass.

/ Weed eater head that will actually cut? #4  
I just brought home an FS130 with the 3 knife blade. It works great on tall grasses and saplings up to 5/8" ... maybe more, but I haven't tried.

Another endorsement of the three knife blade. I have also used a 4 knife (tooth) blade that is marginally more effective on grass, but is less effective on saplings. Stihl has an 8 tooth grass blade (Trimmer Blades Trimmer Cutting Heads & Blades | STIHL) that I haven't tried.

Steve

/ Weed eater head that will actually cut? #6  
Another glowing endorsement of the Stihl three blade brush knife. I have an FS90 that wears the brush knife 90% of the time. If you keep both sides sharp you can flip it over if it starts getting dull. It will drop a thumb sized maple sappling and not even stutter. I use it on cattails, multiflora roses and any brush that needs beat down.

/ Weed eater head that will actually cut?
Ordered a 3 blade cutter today from my dealer. He said I won't use much else.

/ Weed eater head that will actually cut? #8  
Ordered a 3 blade cutter today from my dealer. He said I won't use much else.

I think you will be happy. Another advantage of the 3-blade cutter is that it doesn't sling debris all over you like a string head does.

Steve