Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default serated plastic blades on trimmer vs string?

any opinions on this.. I have a pack of blades and was thinking baout a retrofit.

any downsides?

Tractor
    Kioti CK30 HST

Default Re: serated plastic blades on trimmer vs string?

That's a bit vague, more input please?
    If you're talking about retrofitting something like the Grass Gator plastic blades Amazon.com: Grass Gator 4610 Weed II Blade Pack: Patio, Lawn & Garden on a string trimmer head, I'd advise against... Get the $10 Gator and use the blades that are built for it.
    Rick
    Kioti CK30 HST / KB2475 Backhoe / KL130 FEL / Box Blade
    Pi are Round, Cornbread are Square.

Veteran Member

I use a plastic head on my Stihl that has three replaceable plastic blades that are not serrated. As long as I stay clear of rocks and metal fence posts etc., the blades hold up quite well. If I need to cut something heavy say briars, I switch to the metal blade. These heads hold up well but I have maybe gone through four or more of them over the years having done alot of fence lines.

I had a trimmer maybe a dozen years ago that I bought a head for with serrated blades. Those blades were not as heavy as the Stihl and did not hold up on a much much lighter duty trimmer.

Having used plastic line on a number of trimmers including the heavy "X" type on a wheeled trimmer, the plastic blades are my choice.

Tractor
    Craftsman

It depends on what you're cutting, i think. I have a Husqvarna 323L trimmer. The pastures have grown a lot of burdock, and even steel coat line wasn't cutting it. I went to the dealer and bought the whole head assembly for plastic blades ($35). With an Allen wrench it's easy to switch heads, and the blades do great on the burdock and any fleshy-type weed. But it's pretty ineffective for grasses; they just wrap around it

Tractor
    Craftsman

QRTRHRS--

How does the Stihl metal blade fit on the trimmer? That's what I went to the dealer for, but he said by law the metal blades require special guards that cost a fortune. He'd gladly sell me the kit, though. I settled for plastic.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

We put a set on one of our FS85's and they worked fine if kept away from rocks and concrete. Our grandson demonstrated that quite well and we went back to string.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    Kioti DK45HSE

I prefer blades for thicker / taller grass and weeds. I get more grass that wraps around the line head than the blade head. Around fence wire, garden area, etc I still use line - feel like it gives me more control and can still cut without full speed. Blades on mine seem to require high rpm to be effective.

Tractor
    Kubota B3300SU

I run the Stihl FS90 with a 3-spoke reversible metal blade. Cut's everything from grass up to 2" diameter saplings. Use a metal file to touch up the cutting edge every once-in-a-while and if it get's too worn - turn the blade over for a whole new set of cutting blades.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

yep.. it is those gator blades. i had an empty spool that was worn on the inside and was gonna toss, but retro fit a couple blades on it with chicago fasteners.. havn't installed it yet.. just wondering...

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Susanjoyce View Post
    QRTRHRS--

How does the Stihl metal blade fit on the trimmer? That's what I went to the dealer for, but he said by law the metal blades require special guards that cost a fortune. He'd gladly sell me the kit, though. I settled for plastic.
    My FS200 came with the plastic head with 3 blades. Just a reverse thread bolt holding the head on. When I go to a steel blade, I need to use this sort of cone shaped disk that keeps the blade off the ground. I would think most Stihl dealers would be glad to help you figure out if you could adapt the head to your trimmer.

FWIW, my trimmer has no special guard from what I can see. When I have a steel blade on, I have steel toes though I have never even come close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast