String trimmer for ~$300

/ String trimmer for ~$300 #1  

schoolsout

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533
Need to get a good trimmer that will be reliable for use on our property. Will use it most to trim around the house/shed and trees we will be planting plus whatever else I can find to do with it.

Have my sights on a Stihl FS70 (I think that is it, basically the cheapest high grade trimmer they offer)

Any others I should take a look at in that range? Anyone out there have the Stihl FS 70? Do you like it? Anything you don't like?

/ String trimmer for ~$300 #2  
We have a sears push string trimmer..It is like a push mower with high wheels...we have had it for over 15 yrs..it sure beats lugging the other kind of trimmer around...there are various makes and they are around $300...I swear by it and would never lug another type of trimmer around again..

/ String trimmer for ~$300
We have a sears push string trimmer..It is like a push mower with high wheels...we have had it for over 15 yrs..it sure beats lugging the other kind of trimmer around...there are various makes and they are around $300...I swear by it and would never lug another type of trimmer around again..

I've seen those and if I had tons of trimming to do, I'd consider it. I bet that 15 year old one you have is built better than most today, too...seems to be the way of the world now. Kind of why I want a good "pro or commercial" type trimmer. I want it to be the last one I buy. Pops has a Ryobi (cheap one) that has just started vibrating so badly, you can't use it for more than 3 minutes before your hands go numb.

I may be going down in the woods once we start messing with it to do some trimming, too, so I'd need to get it in the bed of the Rhino.

/ String trimmer for ~$300 #4  
I've an FS70 and an FS250. Highly recommend the harness that came with my FS250 (or similar) for the FS70. I used the FS70 for years without a harness and it's a great wheedwacker. Got the FS250 because I needed a brush cutter. They are both great.
Other brands are cheaper and maybe just as good, but I've 4 Stihl dealers within range and it was worth the extra $$ for the relability. I've also got 3 Stihl chainsaws so far.

/ String trimmer for ~$300 #5  
I have an fs74 that I bought in high school. I'm 37. Just used it last week. I bought the km 90 4 mix several years ago for the options. Weed eater, edger, pole saw, star blade, hedge trimmers. I like buying once and being done with it.

I have an fs74 that I bought in high school. I'm 37. Just used it last week. I bought the km 90 4 mix several years ago for the options. Weed eater, edger, pole saw, star blade, hedge trimmers. I like buying once and being done with it.

I'll check that one out. I had thought about the KM series, but didn't know how well they hold up. Pops' Ryobi has the attachment system and I've used the chainsaw attachment and it worked really well. I take it, you like the KM?

/ String trimmer for ~$300 #7  
I may be going down in the woods once we start messing with it to do some trimming, too, so I'd need to get it in the bed of the Rhino.

I've an FS70 and an FS250. Highly recommend the harness that came with my FS250 (or similar) for the FS70. I used the FS70 for years without a harness and it's a great wheedwacker. Got the FS250 because I needed a brush cutter.

If you are going to be using the trimmer in the woods, you ought to think about upping your budget some and purchase a trimmer that accommodates the use of metal blades. I purchased a FS90R, the least expensive Stihl that can take the metal blades. You can handle saplings, heavy brambles, etc. with ease.

The FS90R has a loop handle. I can't recall whether its harness came with the trimmer or as part of the optional metal blade kit. The trimmer more than meets my needs at my house in SC, but I would opt for a trimmer with bicycle-style handles for heavier brush cutting. The FS90 has bicycle bars. (I have a Husqvarna brushcutter that I use at my farm).

Steve

Last edited:
Good point. Hadn't thought of the metal blade option. I think the FS 90 with the bike handles is about $350, so not much more than I had envisioned.

I had thought about the bike handles, but kind of figured it may be cumbersome carrying down the trail in the Rhino. Probably not as bad as I'm thinking, though.

/ String trimmer for ~$300 #9  
I had thought about the bike handles, but kind of figured it may be cumbersome carrying down the trail in the Rhino. Probably not as bad as I'm thinking, though.

I don't know about your Rhino's bed size, but I carry my Husqvarna brush cutter (with bicycle bars) in the bed of my Kubota RTV 900 without any problems. The blade and about a foot or so of the shaft hang over the top of the tailgate during transport.

Steve

I think you have me beat on bed length. Just a guess....my bed is maybe 3.5' long. I don't mind anything overhanging (too much).