Am I having a bad day? Stihl FS110?

/ Am I having a bad day? Stihl FS110? #1  

lizardman

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 850,JD 810A(mine),JD LX280(dad)
I am having mower problems, and now this.

While weedeating the ditch bank this evening, I noticed a strange smell coming from my Stihl FS110R. It is not a gas smell or a 2-stroke oil smell, and it is not smoking. It almost smells like plastic, or a hot wire smell.
Whether it is related, the Stihl Auto head seems like it makes a little noise. And the head does get a little warm to the touch.

Could there be a grease issue in the shaft or in the trimmer head itself? If so, what grease do you put in it and where(just gob it in the end, or what)?
Or is something else going on that I am not thinking of???

Man, I sure would appreciate some input.

Thanks,
Rod

/ Am I having a bad day? Stihl FS110? #2  
Hehe......
Having just replaced the right angle drive on my trimmer...................
Turns out my drive (not a Stihl) needs to be greased every 50 hrs. It was right there in the manual. I'm usually pretty retentive about reading the maintenance section of those.
Might want to check yours.

/ Am I having a bad day? Stihl FS110? #3  
You buy the grease at your Stihl dealer. It comes in a tube similar to tooth paste.

There's a bolt plug in the gear box head you remove. Then you screw the grease tube into the hole. Then squeeze the tube and grease will be pushed into the gear box. Remove tube and install bolt plug.

Good luck

/ Am I having a bad day? Stihl FS110? #4  
You could also pull the shaft apart and grease it in there along with the gear box like stated above.
I have a FS 110 R and I love it.